Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want to Reinstall Windows XP to speed up machine?  (Read 9992 times)

Eldritch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Want to Reinstall Windows XP to speed up machine?
    « on: January 27, 2019, 12:42:52 AM »
    I have a venerable Compaq Presario desktop running Windows XP.  1 gig RAM.  2.50 ghz.   120 gig hard drive.

It runs very slow.  Surfing the net has gotten abominably slow.  I can only use older browsers which can't handle many features of current websites.   However, word processing and spreadsheets are still serviceable.  Perhaps it's fortunate my software is old like the computer.

I've heard errors  accumulate in Windows after long use that slow the machine down.  I ran Tweaking.com Windows Repair and that actually found problems to fix.  That helped some.  I've heard reinstalling Windows will correct the accumulated problems and make the machine run faster again.  Is this for real?

I have the original installation disk.  I assume it's a simple matter of putting the disk in the CD/DVD drive and running it (and of course, I'll need to back up all data first.)

But obviously this won't give me updates to SP3.  Microsoft isn't maintaining XP any more.

Is there a way to also reinstall updates up through SP3?  If not, how badly will I miss them?

Salmon Trout

Re: Want to Reinstall Windows XP to speed up machine?
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 04:31:46 AM »
    You can get XP SP3 and later security updates from Microsoft.

To install SP3 you need SP1 or SP2. If your install disk is not that level, you should do that first.

SP1 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20sp1

SP2 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20sp2

SP3 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20sp3

Eldritch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:49:57 AM »
      Thanks.  That's great news.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
      As it is a Presario is it running windows xp home if so you may not be able to reactivate it, as the XP activation server no longer works for on line activation, with pro you need to ring the activation phone number.
      I think I would be checking it over for bad capacitors , hard drive health and perhaps look at getting a SSD drive and image the old windows drive to the SSD. Meaning you won't need to re activate.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »
      If your CD doesn't include SP 1 way goodluck findin it...regardless of the linx posted.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
      I have in my stuff an old Compaq laptop. Recently I installed the HP Windows XP service pack 2 and it works normal. No activation was needed. The OEM  CD is still for sale on eBay. Also available are the drivers the might be needed. These should cost less  than  $20.

I believe this works because HP bought Compaq sometime ago and the OEM Windows  software apparently knows about this and does not need activation.

Anybody that wants XP on a old machine that does not have an OEM CD available can buy a retail version of XPSP3 for about $30 and it will have the legal product key needed.

Some older machines might not have all drivers anywhere. You wail need to find them yourself. Of course, don't expect Microsoft to help you . :'(

But there are people here that might help.  :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention; Major Geeks has an 'SP4' for Windows XP.