Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shadow.Tech.... Anyone here playing casted games remotely like this?  (Read 7782 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Anyone using this Shadow.Tech service to play casted games between personal computer or tablet and high end game servers to say whether its any good or not?

I was wondering when the day would come that games could play through a remote session to higher end hardware. Network/Internet Bandwidth constraints and Refresh Rate issues made me think that this wasn't going to be available for a while. But they claim it can be done on a 15mb/s connection. They have some impressive bragged frame rates with high resolution. My thoughts are that they are able to somehow take very fast screenshots and get them to play out through persistent stream like a very fast slideshow on your computer so that you can play without lag between your controls and what you see. A direct display of images is something that GPU's have no issues with. All the rendering is done elsewhere, so even integrated video that is rather weak may show impressive gameplay because calculations for rendering are done server side.

I have a gaming system with decent specs to run all my games but before I check this out I figured I'd get some feedback from others who might be here who have tried this service out.

https://shadow.tech/usen/discover/technology

Seeing this makes me wonder if the days of gaming computers are numbered as a game company could decide to release their game through a service like this to work almost console based in design to specific redundant hardware server side, so testing only needs to be done with specific server side hardware and a vast difference in systems even weak would be able to play higher end games. This also would protect games from piracy as for all the code would remain server side and all you would get is a keyboard/mouse handshake for user input and a displayed output based on whatever your doing in the game.

I personally like buying software and having it physically on my computer. But if this really works as they are advertising, then its a real game changer for developers having tighter controls on their games execution on a specific build that can be optimized for that game, and protection from people copying it which forces people to have to pay. Additionally it could turn into a coin-op type of play where you have to keep paying to play so its not a buy once and own the game forever to play but the more you want to play it the more you will have to pay it!

Normally I dont pay attention to Facebook Ads, but I saw this and it caught my attention. Then looked further into it and its quite impressive if its what it says it is and plays that well on a lower end modern computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Shadow.Tech.... Anyone here playing casted games remotely like this?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
This has already been a thing for a few years. NVidia GeForce Now has been one product that allows this- You can play a game that has higher system requirements than your local setup over the Internet where it actually runs on higher-end hardware, and the video output is streamed to your system, so the actual load on your setup isn't much more than watching a video. There are a bunch of others as outlined in this wiki page.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.