Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 PC's in 1 Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D  (Read 3408 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
2 PC's in 1 Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
Friend of mine pointed me to this case when I said I wish there were a case out there that could house 2 motherboards and power supplies with drives all independent to each build. Looked it up and saw the price tage of $499.99 with $17.99 shipping and NO WAY am I paying that for a bare case.

I guess I am just going to find 2 slim cases for them and stack them to space save that way.

Here is the case that is set up for 2 systems in 1 case:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139123&Description=1000D&cm_re=1000D-_-11-139-123-_-Product

Now trying to decide if I want to go with 2 lower cost slim cases or 2 cube like "shuttle like" cases. I have 2 systems in full height towers with 3 x 5.25" drive bays and the boards in them are an Mini ITX and mATX.

Other thoughts were to stack the boards with nylon standoffs in a cabinet with their own power supplies and all that but then the price gets up there and the space saving of it there is no gain.

Years ago I had computer cases all stacked on their sides with a 4-port KVM and I might just have to go that route with these 2 systems and have my flat screen monitor resting on top of the stack but just thinking it would be nicer to space save by going with smaller cases that can be stacked on top of each other or slim side by side to a corner of my desk.

Currently I have two 19" displays on my desk with a full height tower furthest right and another full height tower to my left under the desk that gets bumped by my feet every once in a while. On my furthest right under desk is my small fridge for drinks when working.  ;D So I have a narrow space that my legs are in when at my desk that is like 2 ft wide. Went to move the case op top of desk side by side the other full height case and then it interferes with my area that my right handed mouse is located. I haven't stacked them in front of me yet because I just want a better setup than these 2 monster full height cases stacked in front of me. So going to throw some money at making this a better setup.

The only catch in just grabbing 2 small form factor type of cases though is that one of the systems is a gaming system with a EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Ti and that is a long video card. The case would have to take full height cards, and I might have to cut metal out of HDD expansion bay area like I had to with the case that its currently in. Heat sink height is not a problem as for i just have stock socket AM3 cast aluminum CPU heatsink on the AMD FX-8300.

If anyone has any suggestions of space saving cases that are $75 (USD) of less each please share them.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 2 PC's in 1 Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »
Closing this thread.

After looking around I saw that the smallest case that I could get by with was a mATX case. So I ended up getting 3 of these cases which were on sale for $19.99 with free shipping. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147246&Description=rosewill%20case&cm_re=rosewill_case-_-11-147-246-_-Product

And they will fit in a way to space save compared to the full height tower cases I had prior.