Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Redirection (thin client)  (Read 3116 times)

Grey_bill9

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    USB Redirection (thin client)
    « on: February 25, 2019, 06:02:23 AM »
    Hi, everyone!

Hoping somebody will facilitate me out with this one!
    I have a simple RDS setup of 2 servers. One is the connection broker/gateway etc (RDS001), and the other is the session host (RDS002). These are both Server 2012 R2, in the same OU, with the same GPO's applied.

I am using HP T510 clients (running ThinPro 5.2), with an RDP connection to the farm address (rds.domain.local). The connection is working fine, however usb devices (ie memory stick) will not redirect to the session host. All the redirection options in the collection properties are ticked. Audio redirects to the client with no problem.

I have also tried connecting directly to the session host (RDS002) with no difference.

I believe the redirect settings on the T510 to be correct, as if i set up another rdp connection from the client to another server or even the connection broker (RDS001) , the usb device i have plugged to the client redirects fine.

So, it seems as though it is only the session host (which is where i actually want to redirect a device to..lol) having this problem.

However, if i connect to the session host from a windows 10 pc, everything redirects as expected - just not from the t510!

Any help appreciated!
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:15:37 AM by Grey_bill9 »

jordanspace

Greenhorn
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: USB Redirection (thin client)
      « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
      Well, on your question you can get out of the situation, but it will be expensive. ...With USB for Remote Desktop you can easily overcome any challenges with help usb over ethernet. The program has been developed to access local USB devices in remote session (RDP or Citrix ICA). Being available both for Windows and Linux, Mac OS USB for Remote Desktop will easily redirect any USB device connected to Thin Clients.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: USB Redirection (thin client)
      « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:06:29 AM »
      I believe the redirect settings on the T510 to be correct, as if i set up another rdp connection from the client to another server or even the connection broker (RDS001) , the usb device i have plugged to the client redirects fine.

So its just the one server that has this issue then and its local to that server that the issue is from I am gathering from this info.

Maybe that one server has something corrupt in regards to the redirection functionality. How complicated would it be to rebuild that one server clean to eliminate the possibility that the build of that server is borked to where a rebuild of it clean might fix this issue.

I am assuming the other server that works for redirection is exactly the same server OS and patching and security software so your comparing oranges to oranges to pin the issue on just that one server as the culprit. ( Avoided apples to apples because apple makes computers.  ;D )