Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: simple windows data backup solution  (Read 4114 times)

ch409

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    simple windows data backup solution
    « on: March 03, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
    hello

currently i do simple drag/drop backups for my desktop PC using 2 portable hard drives which i rotate to remote locations.
    while this is simple and basic as we all know the issue here is doing this with consistency.

i am looking for a simple way to keep a another drive connected to the desktop and have it backup any new or modified files automatically with regularity.
    i am only interested in my current/working files and dont care about previous/older versions. a complete backup/copy of the hard drive option would also be nice but its not my priority.

i know there are various options out there. i am not interested in cloud/remote/subscription services at the moment.
    i see windows 7-10 has a backup utility but i have never used it so dont know if its an unreliable nuisance.
    i also see some external drives come with backup software but again i dont know if that's difficult or unreliable.

just looking to keep it simple without cloud subscription services
    thanks in advance for any advice.

Term_ite

Beginner
      • Computer: Specs
      Re: simple windows data backup solution
      « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
      I bought the Seagate Backup Plus Hub a year ago and have found it to be totally reliable to backup my files on a daily basis. The included software only backs up new files or files that have been changed after the initial total backup. (You pick the directories and files that you want backed up.) It comes in different sizes up to 10 TB.
      I'm running Win 10 and have found the Windows backup to be very UNRELIABLE. When I was trying to use it I had to manually hit the backup button in settings more days than not. I quit using it when it backed up every file in the backup list giving me 2 duplicates of every file after a Windows Update. As far as Win 7 goes I cannot comment on its backup reliability.
      I use Macrium Reflect free for backups for the OS and find it to be totally reliable.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
      I like Macrium Reflect. It has options that might suit your needs. It is software and mostly free.  Use your own hardware. You need a drive larger that what you sue.
      Schedule Backups
      "Overview
      You can schedule backups to either run at a different time or to run repeatedly. For each scheduled backup, you can decide whether you want it to run as a differential, incremental or full backup. You can also manage space on the disk by automating the deletion of redundant backups.
      Note: Macrium Reflect uses the Windows Scheduler service so you need to ensure that this has been activated in Windows.
      "
       8)

J_Brown

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:31:31 PM »
        As usual, I use manual copying of important files to external HDD, but now also looking for some tools that would allow to make a copy of all software installed to avoid re-installation as it is extremely time-consuming.
        I`ve also heard about Macrium Reflect, but the information I found in the comparison states it is not freehttps://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-backup-software/ (number 13 hereunder).
        Are there any opinions on free alternatives? As I probably would continue manual copying, frees software will be better (just to copy the software installed).

Term_ite

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
          J_Brown,
          I've been using Macrium Reflect Free Edition for the last year to backup my OS. Go to the following link to get a true picture of the Macrium Reflect software.
          https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:03:26 PM »
          Whoever told you Macrium was not Free has no idea what he's talkin about...Just sayin.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cecelia Lin

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 05:30:36 AM »
            Try AOMEI Backupper!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
            What he is lookin for in case noone noticed is "incremental" backups...which none of the Free options offer...

I suggest Acronis True Image for that task.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "