Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: COMPUTER LOCKUP  (Read 5206 times)

SJRick

COMPUTER LOCKUP
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:37:16 AM »
OK heres one that has me stumped.

I upgraded my computer to a new P4 3.0 gig cpu,, 800 FSB  Biostar MoBo, 512 RAM, New 450 watt power supply.  I just this week put in a new 120 gig HD, New Radeon Video card. New Sound card. Everything brand new.

Now heres where it just gets me everytime,,, i am burning a dvd ,,in windows explorer,, or simply doing anything,, The whole system locks up. the two lights on the front of the computer are lit,, one is the reset and one is power. I have wiped this system clean 3 different times now  ( XP home edition )and every single time ,, the system locks up on me,, I have no idea what it could be,, its like buying a new car and the engine wont start.

I have configured different types of hardware devices ,, new sound, video,, etc,, and it still does this,, I dont know what in the world could be taking control of the system and totally locking it up,, Does anyone have any ideas?  The only thing thats left ,, is something in the case,, or perhaps the nic card,, theres also a firewire card in there.

Its kinda like fishing,, it doesnt happen everytime,, ya gotta be patient and it will come,,Other then buying another version of windows or switching out the case for another one,,  im not sure what else i can do. i have taken it to a tech to mess with and he just rewiped it and that was it,, any input is appreciated

Rich

MetalMilitia

Re: COMPUTER LOCKUP
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 03:39:35 AM »
Have you tried a different stick of ram?

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:40:08 PM »
At what point in your upgrade process did it start happening?  You could try re-seating the video/sound cards and like Metal says.. pop a stick of ram (assuming you have 2 256 sticks) then try the other.  There is an issue XP has when clicking on .avi files in Explore that causes total hang up and 100% CPU usage.  You can search regedit.com for more info on a reghack to correct it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:40:30 PM by Joleen »

SJRick

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 12:43:30 AM »
well the lockup comes when i am burning copies of my dvds,, I swapped out the single 512 ram chip with another one....and i actually added another fan to draw out the heat from the computer,, all the cards are seated properly and the thing still locks up. I dont know where else to go,,I am taking it back next Tuesday for them to look at it,, again,

hopefully worst case scenerio,, they can just give me an AMD setup and take back this one. The fastest way for me to intentionally lock up the system is to copy discs,, but it will lock up, just by surfing the web or windows explorer,,, so it certainly has me stumped,, ive never seen anything like this before,,