Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tthe right to unplug any appliance anytime .  (Read 8635 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Tthe right to unplug any appliance anytime .
« on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
From Dictation.

You may safely ignore this rent. Once again I, geek9pm, M on a rant about something that nobody else thinks is important. In a nutshell here is what I believe:
I have the right to unplug any appliance anytime I want to.

I get tired of these things saying we this plug-in only that plug-in because if I don't something very bad will happen. Like could miss an update or an advertisement or some kind of annoyance that other people think I need. I unplugged my electrical devices whenever I want because I want to. I don't need a reason. They are mine and if I wish to I can unplug them. That is why they have plugs on them.
Think about it, many things in your house do not have plugs on. For example, the lights in the ceiling. They are permanently wired in so that there is no way you can unplug them except to open up the fixture and physically undo the wires, which would present a shock hazard.
Electrical plugs, both here in United States and in other countries, having built in such a way that they are safe to plug and unplug my ordinary mortals that can make mistakes. The possibility of your being hurt by plugging in an electrical appliance or unplugging it, is very very small. The plugs are designed in such a way that the blades of the plug are not readily accessible to your fingers unless you make a deliberate effort to to try to touch them while plugging it in. So it's perfectly safe to unplugging appliance if you grip it by the plastic handle that was made for that purpose. Of course, you don't want to gesture, cord, that might damage the court. But it is always safe and wise to use the plastic molded plug to unplug the electrical device from the main outlet.
You know what ticked me off about this ? It was my almost noon Canon printer that I've had for a long time and it now decides to chide me for turning off the power.
In my computer room I have to power strips that has switches on them for the express purpose of turning off power to all my devices. I can turn off my monitors, my computers, my printers and my routers. In some cases a mono have one of each, but that's beside the point. Whether I have one or two or more of the device, I might decide to turn off the power to all of them with one simple gesture. I pushed the switch on my power strip and they all go off. Simple, reliable, and I believe completely safe.
Yet my Canon printer insist that something bad is going to happen because I did not tell the printer that the power was about to be shut off. It insists I have to press the power button on the printer before I turn it off.
Now if I ever really true, and of other men manufacturers were to follow the same sort of insane reasoning, then we would have a very difficult turn off procedure.
Imagine that you know could no longer use the power switch on your power strip to turn off everything at once. Instead, he had to go to your printer and press the button and wait. Next you have to go over to your monitor and press the button and wait and then you have to go over to your computer and press the button and wait and wait and wait for Windows to turn off. Then it is anything else in the room that needs to go off you would have to go over to it and press the button and wait. So far my coffee pot doesn't do that to me. My coffee pot will let me either use the switch on the coffee pot or just pull the plug from the wall. Yes, I know that pulling the plug from the wall in some cases can lead to unusual sparking. Still, it has been certified by the underwriters laboratories to be safe for that kind of situation. If not, they would've been a public campaign years ago telling people how to unplug their appliances. But there never was, because there is never a need for people to press some kind of a button and then wait.
So this is my protest. I have the right to unplug any electrical appliance in my house any time I want to without waiting for some piece of software or firmware to give me permission to turn the thing off.
All right, this is the end of my rent.
You don't need reply to this, is just my way of venting my frustration. Thank you for letting me post this on Computer Hope and please let it stay up for at least 24 hours. Thank you.

Microphone off.    :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Tthe right to unplug any appliance anytime .
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »
Typically devices that rely on power and have transitive stored states shut down more reliably when they are able to do their shutdown procedure. I doubt it has anything to do with safety concerns involving unplugging.

I think printers have some limited amount of configuration information and statistics that they track, and they might have warnings when they detect they were not shut down because doing so can very rarely cause corruption problems with that data which leads to problems with the printer.

Other devices are often the same. Desktop Computers in general tend to complain primarily because nowadays it's hard to "know" if anything will be affected by cutting power. Used to be that you could flip the big red rocker safely as long as you saw A> or C> but with Windows and other more advanced environments, write caching, and so forth there's a lot of things to go wrong.

Despite the warnings when the devices are turned on, nothing stops you from continuing to shut them off or unplug them however you want. It's a warning more than anything else. It's sort of like a warning on a refrigerator warning you not to rotate it. It doesn't stop you, but when your compressor fails you can't say they didn't warn you.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
Can I say something Without sounding like a contradiction?
All of your logic is correct.
I think the delayed write thing is a carryover from the early days of UNIX.
With the hard drive technology in common use, a write operation will always take longer than any read operation. And that is why the operating system will put a right operation on hold until there is some slack in the workload.
Nevertheless, there has been in existence a technology that could have prevented this situation from ever becoming an issue.
Batteries, yes batteries were and still are the solution. Even the oldest IBM PCs could have been powered by a battery pack for a few minutes before finishing a shutdown sequence.NiCad batteries were available back then and still are the item of choice for short-term extended operation of a unit that has been powered down.
So, what I am trying to say is this: the manufacturer says had the opportunity to get rid of this annoyance even back in the early days. But for some reason they all seem to think this is a feature that nobody wanted nor were willing to pay for. I can only imagine that the cost of adding a NiCad battery pack to extend the delayed write cycle would only add a few dollars to the total price of a personal computer

Is that too much to expect?

Now that I think about it, we are all going that way anyhow. More and more of our computational devices are going to be battery-powered units they will not have an issue with delayed write. That will be taken care of by the operating system and the design of the hardware, which will include some kind of a battery pack.
At some point in the future there were no longer be such things as desktop PCs. But I do expect they'll be an aftermarket program for power supplies that have a built-in battery pack and the needed software to help the operating system deal with delayed write after the power has been cut down. That would be a good idea for a niche market.
Anyway, thanks for all for letting me do my rent. After I post this I'm going to pull the plug.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »
This is silly. Shut down the OS properly and you can pull the power. My Windows 10 systems and the Linux boxes will shut down in about 5 seconds. In the UK our AC outlets have switches on them so there's no pulling of plugs needed. I have a bunch of systems, powered hubs, a NAS, a router, an unmanaged switch, etc all plugged into a 10-way power strip, which goes into an outlet. Usually at night when I go to bed, or when I go to work,  off goes the switch on the wall outlet, unless I need something to run while I am away. If it wasn't switched, I would happily pull the plug. I have been doing this for over 20 years.

Once, I switched on the power, and my ISP's Scientific Atlanta cable modem made a sound like a pistol firing, and let out its magic smoke. I asked the engineer who replaced it if I had caused it by repeated power cycles, and he said he always did the same. He thought it was a poor quality device. He replaced it with a Netgear combined  cable modem and router.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:08:48 AM by Salmon Trout »

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
For a while I was using a Timer in the outlet with a power strip connected to it to only have equipment drawing stand-by power between the hours of the day that I would use my equipment. But the stand-by power draw of all devices was only 11 watts and the timer runs on 1 Watt, so during 12 hours of a day I was saving 10 watts per hour which is 120 watts or .12 kw per day. With my electricity at 18 cents per kilowatt I was saving 2.16 cents per day having this electric timer running. I ended up doing away with this and just leaving everything connected to the wall because its just a cost of $7.88 per year to leave it running without timer and I was finding myself having to enable/disable the timer as I would sometimes have a project running unattended when sleeping with some automated scripts or data crunching and it was a pain having to remember to disable the timer so that the system wouldnt have its power killed to it right in the middle of something important.

I ended up repurposing the timer by adding a Wireless Access Point powered off the timer to make a second WIFI in my home for my daughter and her friends which it only works between 6am and 10pm. Had some issues where she was texting her friends and gaming on her smart phone with others late night and I put an end to it without buying a new router with parental control features, but instead killing her WIFI between sleep hours.  ;D ::)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »
I ended up repurposing the timer by adding a Wireless Access Point powered off the timer to make a second WIFI in my home for my daughter and her friends which it only works between 6am and 10pm. Had some issues where she was texting her friends and gaming on her smart phone with others late night and I put an end to it without buying a new router with parental control features, but instead killing her WIFI between sleep hours.  ;D ::)
Me too. For my granddaughter.
But recently I got a new router and now use the parental control. The pld router belongs to Comcast I I will save money by not paying the outrageous  $11 per month rental fee they impose here in this area.  :D