Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Videos Always Micro-Shutter  (Read 7128 times)

kirin

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Linux Videos Always Micro-Shutter
    « on: March 07, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
    Hello, I would like to begin with saying that I'm still somewhat new to Linux. I've discovered this issue about a year ago since then still haven't found a solution.
    My Problem: Videos (be it local video, streaming on VLC or other apps or watching on any browsers) have a micro-shutter that happens randomly sometimes doesn't happen for 5 mins, sometimes happen 3 times in a minute or so. It affects both sound and video. Games also feel laggy. In windows 10 I don't have this issue even with 2015 drivers.
    Distros and DEs I have tried so far: Linux Mint with Cinnamon and MATE, Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Arch with MATE, Manjoro with KDE and MATE, Debian both Strech and Buster.
    Thing that I have tried so far:
    • Forcing Chromium to use Hardware acceleration and using h264ify.
    • Forcing Governer to use only performance mode.
    • Creating Intel profile under x11 config.d
    • Increasing minimum CPU frequency.
    • Downloading all the codecs I can find.
    • Changing VLC renderer and messing with options.
    • Changing compositor settings.
    • Trying to watch something while the computer under load.
    • and some other things i don't remember.

I'm using a laptop that has Intel Pentium 2020M with HD4000 integrated graphics.
    I just want to use Linux really any distro any DE I don't really mind but this issue is really problematic for me 'cause I watch a lot of things.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    « Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:03:35 PM by kirin »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Linux Videos Always Micro-Shutter
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:36:01 PM »
    3 things come to mind that I didnt see listed in your testing for the cause.

#1 - Test the laptops memory with memtest86 to make sure all is well with memory

#2 - Get a thermal sensing program for Linux similar to speedfan that you can use to monitor the temperature of the laptops CPU/GPU and other temp monitored locations to that laptop as for it could be a thermal-throttle that you are seeing where the laptop gets really hot and then it starts to throttle until the temperature cools and then the problem goes away.

#3 - Hard Drive or SSD Health. I'd check to make sure its all healthy with the S.M.A.R.T data for the drive. A delayed-write or delayed-read error can toy with the swap space ( virtual memory ) and cause the system to have to play catch up and cause a stutter delay.