Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I remove a website from the internet if the owner is deceased  (Read 2955 times)

Mopsmolly

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    My re-enactment group has had multiple websites in the past and now has a new one but our old websites still remain up. The person who took control of them is now dead and we no longer pay anyone to run the websites anymore but they are still working. No one in the group is really amazing with tech and we have no clue how to remove these websites.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How do I remove a website from the internet if the owner is deceased
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
    If its hosted for free and you have a registered domain name then, I am thinking if your unable to contact the web host and have them bring it offline that waiting for the domain name to lapse by not paying to renew it is one way to wait for it to go offline when the domain name is no longer registered.

Other thing is that if this person still has a spouse or someone who has his computer, if he had stored passwords to the web host for the website, then with access to his system if someone knows the password to logon to it, that you could go to the web host website and make changes, however someone would need to have the skills necessary to edit the website such as replace the index.html web page with a page that states that this website is no longer hosted and possibly links for visitors to click to go to whatever websites are still active.

Mopsmolly

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: How do I remove a website from the internet if the owner is deceased
      « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
      We haven’t paid anyone for coming up to 7 years now and the website is still active and no one knows why we have no idea what company made this website and the person who owned it has no children who could go through his passwords are there any other options ?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Look up the Registered Domain name and see when it expires and buy that domain to take ownership of the domain name. Once you do that you can take ownership of the domain and shut it down as its now legally yours.

This is also a trick that some have done in the past to buy a domain name lease that the ownership lease on its name expired/lapsed and they pay to register that domain name and hold the domain name ransom to a company or individual to have to buy it back from whomever bought a domain name lease when a company or individual was sloppy and forgot to renew the domain name lease.  ::)

But in your case it would be to take ownership of that domain name as your own upon expiration and assuming it as your own on or after that expiration date. Places like godaddy support can help with letting you know when a domain name is set to expire even when its a domain that isn't your own initially.

However if this website is freely hosted and subdomained such as some free hosts main domain name with something like the following then its much harder to shut it down and would require contacting the web host of the free usually ad-supported hosting service requesting them to bring it down due to the fact that the owner is now deceased.

Example of subdomained would be like a website with a name of www . freewebhost . com / someones_webpage / index.html
      (Without the spaces... spaces added to avoid making this an active link.)