Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Lenevo Ideapad 330- lags a lot  (Read 3754 times)

JoTech96

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    New Lenevo Ideapad 330- lags a lot
    « on: March 17, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
    Recently, bought a new Lenovo Ideapad 330. Specs are 7th Gen Intel Core i3-7020Uprocessor,2.30Ghz | OS - Windows 10 | 4Gb DDR4 RAM with integrated Graphics| 1TB Harddisk. Use to have disk memory at 100% all the time, later after windows update, it reduced. But still, its slow and lags while using any software. Even opening windows Start button takes a couple of seconds. Any suggestion on what could be done?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Lenevo Ideapad 330- lags a lot
    « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:55:42 AM »
    The Model 330 is an interesting one. They made these in 4GB for Walmart, and 8GB RAM for Staples and elsewhere for sale as well as they came with option for 128GB SSD or 1TB HDD as well as Core i3 or Core i5.

I bought the model 330 in the Core i3 with the 128GB SSD with 8GB RAM and paid $10 more than Walmart wanted for their 4GB RAM model with 1TB HDD.

Windows 10 seems to cause some systems with 4GB RAM to lag out due to superfetch consuming all the system RAM. SuperFetch is suppose to make systems run faster as frequently needed data is located cached on system RAM for faster use by the CPU; however I have seen systems with 4GB RAM start off looking good and then shortly after lagging as all system RAM is in use and while superfetch is suppose to dump cached data in favor of data that is needed when available free memory is low but this process of cache loading and dumping of data to access new data from hard drive starts to act like data trying to get through rush hour on a highway which makes the hard drive very busy and CPU to lag to get the data it needs.

If you go into services and disable superfetch service and then reboot this will help.

The other feature that Windows 10 has is that it saves sessions on shutdown with a feature called 'Fast Startup", so you could have your browser and programs open when you boot your computer next time. I have seen in some situations in my own use with Windows 10 where a problem in Windows 10 can carry over from shutdown to the next boot and cause the system to act slow and problematic. However by disabling "Fast Startup" Windows 10 was able to purge this corrupt session and load fresh from the hard drive and then run healthy.

Here is how to disable "superfetch":

https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

Here is how to disable "Fast Startup":

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Lastly; if your hard drive is more than 80% full of data, you could have heavy fragmentation of data on the hard drive that causes data to be accessed from the hard drive inefficiently causing the system to slow way down and hard drive light to be lit a lot as its assembling the data it needs.

Other solution if you don't want to disable the superfetch and fast startup would be to upgrade to 8GB RAM which Windows 10 works far better with for these 2 features.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Lenevo Ideapad 330- lags a lot
    « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
    Forgot to add, have you verified that your system is free of malware/virus infection?