Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Compaq Evo N1000v laptop restart and power-on and off problem  (Read 2596 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Hi!

I own old laptop HP Compaq Evo N1000v.
    When I restart OS it forces restart, but after OS shutdown hangs without any action.

When I power-on laptop it works, but after power-off or restart (problem described above) it hangs only and no action.
    When I wait few hours, disconnect from power (laptop has no battery), it powers on and works again.

I know that's maybe looking like cooling problem but I see that's not this - no overheat or so.

Can anybody explain me where can be  problem?
    Really don't know what to enter into Google or other search engine.

Thank you for all replies, suggestions and help.
    Miro
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:40:15 AM by MIRKOSOFT »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HP Compaq Evo N1000v laptop restart and power-on and off problem
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »
    Is this Windows 8, 8.1, or 10?

I had a system that runs Windows 10 that would shutdown and screen would go black, but fans and drives still running and only way to get it to shutdown was to hold the power button in.

The fix for my system was to disable Fast Startup .... https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

What was happening is that when Windows 10 was saving the contents from memory to the drive before shutdown it would do this and never get to its actual shutdown of power state. But with Fast Startup disabled it would shut down with no problems.

On another system I had where Fast Startup passed along corruption from a prior Windows session to the next boot, and rebooting the computer wouldnt fix the issue because it kept writing the information to save the session that had been building for many days in acumulated time such as if the computer was used 1 hour a day for 5 days it would show that the computer has been running for 5 hours, but in my case the computer said it had been running for 10 days even though it hasnt but thats how long that session had been building in time for and a corruption of that session was only able to be cleared by disabling the Fast Startup so that it would boot a new fresh session vs inheriting the problem from past sessions passed along.  ::)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
      Problem is that I'm not using Windows 10.

OSes used in laptop are:
      MS-DOS 7.10
      Windows XP
      Commodore OS Vision 1.3 based on Linux Mint
      OSX86 Tiger 10.4
      - all x86 Intel

And each does this - so I think it's hardware problem.

Miro

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
      You've basically thrown as much crap at that system as you could get to stick. Your problems are probably equivalent to that crap sliding down the wall.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
      + 1 !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 05:03:32 PM »
        Ok, so I need not to make my crap true, but look at laptop hardware and try this:
        1. create MacOS partition table and install OSX86
        2. install MS-DOS to CF card and copy its partition to HDD
        3. do the same for XP and then Linux
        4. create boot floppy for DOS
        5. create boot floppy for XP and Linux - single floppy
        and if you anywhere are lost, don't name my Q as crap.
        I need not this forum for find offense - I found here always help and even - this forum helped me to do my crap real.
        If you can make anything similar with this hardware, you can name my simple hardware Q crap.
        If not - ask me how to do it in details and please help me with Q - without offense.
        I'm not proud, but I never asked stupidity and many other users here helped me. And that helped me make my crap...
        So, think you that at this forum anybody writes crap????
        I think here are useful and helpful replies, comments and help!

Miro

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
        I never said ANYTHING you wrote was crap. It was analogy for what you've effectively done to the system.

You've more or less tossed a bunch of arbitrary and largely unrelated Operating Systems onto the machine. You are following convoluted series of steps that you arrive at largely through trial-and error.

There is nothing wrong with that at all.

But when you go through that sort of twisted set of steps to get a 10 year old Macbook which predated even Apple's own BootCamp feature multi-booting between OS X Tiger, Windows XP, MS-DOS, and Linux, having additional complications is not just unsurprising but entirely expected. Heck, if the system not powering off completely on it's own is your main problem, I'd say you got off easy. Thing is, because of how you have it set up, Attempting to fix it if you don't actually know why it doesn't work could very easily just lead you down a path where you have to start the whole thing over.

Lastly- pretty much nobody else is going to have or bother to have a similarly set up system in order to diagnose and figure out the various problems you'll have, where MS-DOS doesn't do one thing, or OS X doesn't to another or choosing Linux from such and such boot screen hangs the system.

Normally, when the issues persist across all the operating systems, I'd suggest looking at the BIOS. But you can't do  that because it's a Mac. Next best thing might be the power settings in the OS X settings/control panel, since those generally get saved to PRAM and could affect how the system operates with other operating systems.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
          Ok, I understand and I'm sorry that I meant thats crap.

But - look - this Q is in hardware section and no matter of operating system - this is really hardware problem.
          Currently I have inside CF card with DOS only. I know what to do with BIOS, power ooptions and similar settings, I know OS shutdown process and also bootstrap.
          I have no problem to understand how this works.

Problem is that I know not why does it hardware - understand me: if there could be software problem I could found it.
          I used 3 HDDs separately with DOS, Windows from 95 to XP, only Linux and OSX single versions.
          No matter what software (meaning OS or live DVD) I use it happens everytime.

It's hardware problem which began few days ago and I can't to solve it 'cause I have not so high hardware skills.
          I have not problem to diagnose software, I have problem with hardware - especially with laptops - there's not possible to remove cover and Take the hands and look at it - why it works not or anything other - example: throw to scrap. And even really don't understand why this began.
          Few days ago I was sleeping whole night and at next evening when I powered on laptop - then powered off, later in night wanted to power on it - that moment all began...

Now we maybe we understand us.

Thank you.
          Miro