Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video connection stops once I turn on my monitor  (Read 10283 times)

Conroyale

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Video connection stops once I turn on my monitor
    « on: March 22, 2019, 09:17:03 PM »
    My video connection is being blocked somehow by turning on one of my monitors. I have a dual monitor setup, one is an ASUS computer monitor and the other is a Sharp Smart TV. This only happens when I have my computer on and my monitors off to begin with. From what I've seen the past three or so weeks this has been happening, it only stops the connection once my smart TV is turned on. It just turns into a blank screen. All the help videos and articles I've read have talked about beeping or warning lights, but I haven't seen any of the sort. The video cable isn't damaged, when I unplug it my monitor says "no signal" but once it's plugged back in, the "no signal" notice goes away and it's back to a blank screen. I know my computer still runs while the screen is blank because I can hear the audio from whatever I had on at the time of the screen going blank.

Any information that you need I can provide as I'm very anxious to get this problem resolved. Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Video connection stops once I turn on my monitor
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
    Sounds like your trying to do a Dual HDMI connection and one of the connections is taking a priority over the other. I had a strange thing happen when I had an older HDMI cable used with a newer HDMI cable. I was wondering if you swap the HDMI cables (if this is how your connected) to the monitor and TV if the problem changes?

If the ASUS monitor is a laptop and your connecting to the TV via HDMI or VGA connection then you might just need to use the specific Function Key to tell it to display on both displays. On a laptop the function key is sometimes in blue  on the keys of the keyboard.

Conroyale

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Video connection stops once I turn on my monitor
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
      I'm actually doing an HDMI for the Smart TV and DVI for the monitor. They are both plugged into my graphics card.