Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware Reserved Memory?  (Read 2929 times)

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Beginner
    Hardware Reserved Memory?
    « on: April 04, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
    Hey guys.

It seems me and RAM are at odds again, not sure why I am eternally cursed to not have normally functioning memory. xD

Anyway I'm speaking to Gigabyte (my motherboard manufacturer) who as of yet haven't provided any insight on the issue.

The problem is as follows: When in BIOS my system recognises two sticks of RAM and a total memory of 16GB, but looking at the advanced timings on automatic settings it's given each different timings for a few of the settings and I'm not sure if this is normal given that when I boot into Windows and view memory performance tab it says memory size 7.9GB, 2 of 4 slots used, 8.1GB hardware reserved (This is made up of 50MB or so of the stick it can use, and the full 8GB of the memory it can't use for some reason).

I've tried to RAM on a different board and it works fine, I've tried different memory in this board and I get the same issue.

When using one slot it works fine, showing 7.9GB total and 50MB hardware reserved.

I've just done a complete reinstall of Windows, tried a CMOS reset, flashed the bios but nothing has worked. This is saying to me that the mobo is faulty. I was hoping that I might find someone here that can agree with me or give me some idea of what I might not have tried yet?

Check the speccy log attached also if interested, it shows 16GB size but only 7.9GB of physical, yet clicking on each slot it reads the slot correctly.

(FYI the other memory I tested (which also had the hardware reserved issue) was G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX)

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks!

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: Hardware Reserved Memory?
      « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
      ...Attached is an image of the advanced memory timings in bios. (Converted to black and white and low quality to get under the size restrictions).

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
      Are they matched stiks of RAM...or no ? ?

If they are which slots do you have them in ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
      PS whya are you using advanced settings on them ? ?

OC'ing RAM is not worth the headaches it can create...but thats just my opinion.

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 03:40:36 AM »
        Hey Patio.

Thanks for the reply. It turns out it was the RAM. I just assumed it wasn't because when I tried the other sticks it did the whole 8GB hardware reserved thing again, I dunno if that was because maybe I hadn't inserted one fully or if the bios had saved some configuration it was using on the other RAM or what? Anyway I've tried the other set of RAM and have both sticks of this fully working at correct speeds.

I wasn't trying to OC the RAM by the way, those were the timings that were coming up under the board automatic settings, they were showing different despite the RAM sticks being a pair.

Anyway I have the other working 8GB DDR4 stick of RAM if you want it? I'll be happy to post it anywhere for you.

Cheers.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:07:52 AM »
        I'm good thanx...gift it to someone local.