Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Reset Computer to Factory Settings  (Read 4438 times)

betabrat2000

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't Reset Computer to Factory Settings
    « on: April 27, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
    I work at a company where a consultant left his desktop tower behind after he was done with his work.  I asked the IT dept and they didn't want it and said I could take it home. The computer is an HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF and has Windows 7 Enterprise. 
    The problem is the computer was setup to run on a company network.  When I connected it at home as a stand-alone, I didn't know the password setup by the consultant.  When I attempted my work login info, I got the message "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request".
    When I switched users to "other users", a random username and password would not log me in.  When I attempted to login from another domain, I was prompted to either "log on to another domain by typing domain name\domain name user" or "log onto your computer (not a domain) by typing MC8377\local user name."  Since this computer is not connected to internet, I was trying the second option.  Still no luck.
    Upon turning computer ON, I have used Esc key to get into startup menu as well as F8 to attempt system recovery.  No luck on either.   Start up menu has "return to factory settings" grayed out as if turned off during setup to prevent future reset.  And on F8 recovery option, I don't know the Administrator password so I never get passed that point.  I have also tried removing the green jumper on the motherboard and putting it back in, but this didn't work either. 
    At this point, I wanted to know if there's a "nuclear" option to return a computer to "out-of-box" mode, whereby I can have computer revert to day 1, with login information to be setup by me.
    Appreciate any help you can provide.
    Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't Reset Computer to Factory Settings
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »
    You will need a OEM copy of Windows 7 to perform a clean install. Then wipe the drive clean of the companies data and install it fresh as your own.

You can also download Windows 10 from Microsoft and install that wiping out Windows 7 and after the trial period expires at some point in the future or you buy a Windows 10 key before then activate the OS. I have heard of some people using Windows 10 stating during install that they dont have a key and it installs clean and has worked for a while now. After a period of time though you lose the ability to customize desktop, but it continues to work otherwise. However at some point once Microsoft gets most on board with 10 I can see them issuing an update that kills off the ability to run keyless non activated Windows 10 installs. All-in-All you should be prepared to buy a license of Windows 10 at some point if going this route in which a key is then used to activate the keyless install.

Qiohanao

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »
    Still need help, betabrat2000? I'm currently looking into it but I wanna know if I should.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »
    ? ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "