Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes  (Read 2443 times)

Shanings

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer freezes
    « on: April 07, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
    Hi guys,

So over the past few months (if not over a year) I've been having an issue with freezing on my computer, its something that I have spent hours of time researching and trying to perform fixes for without any progress on a fix, so I'm just looking for some other peoples input.

Computer Specs

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790l, 4.00GHz

GPU - MSI GTX 1080 8GB

RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red PC3-12800 (1600)

Motherboard - ASUS Z87-K

PSU - 750w Corsair RM Series

Storage -

SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 530 MB/s

2TB SSHD (Will update when I have name, if needed)

OS - Windows 10, x64

The issue

I'll describe what happens to the best I can. When playing games such as Star Citizen (On SSD) or recently Assassins Creed Origins the computer will just stop/freeze. All sound will cut and the computer wont respond to any form of input, mouse/keyboard, even the power/reset button on the front stop responding. The only way I can turn off the PC is to hold the power button to shut it down, or off at the wall. The screens basically look like I'm viewing a screenshot, if I was to take a picture of my monitors when it happens and show you that's basically how I see it, screens remain on with what I was doing just nothing is moving and all sound is gone.

Nothing appears within the event log aside from the error of me shutting down the PC in that way. The crash itself is completely random, I can go a for hours on the computer with no issue sometimes, even days but then it randomly appears again. It can happen multiple times a day, or just once a week. Nothing happe can be playing a gamens before hand, for example I can be playing a game completely normally then suddenly its froze, no spiking/high temperatures so I don't believe that is the issue, I have spent hours monitoring temperatures during play and nothing should be high enough to cause alarm. The only connection I seem to find i this error appearing at the same time as the computer shutdown error is this - The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.

There isn't an obvious connection between when the crashes happen also, I can be playing a multiplayer game, single player game, watching a Youtube video or simply reading something on Reddit and its gone. I've even moved from Chrome to Firefox after reading posts online that share similar crashes when using chrome. The RAM is new only being a few weeks old, this issue happened before replacing the RAM. I also changed the SSD recently (within 4 weeks) thinking this help the issue which to some extent it has, I no longer face crashes when performing basics tasks such as using Windows or browsing the internet, however Star Citizen still crashes my PC running off the SSD. I have also re-installed Windows to no real help.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I just wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Thanks for reading and I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone was able to provide any form of advice/knowledge on my issue.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer freezes
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
    Curious if you have your computer powered through a Battery Backup ( aka UPS ) so that if the power dipped quickly to the outlet and recovered back to normal voltage at the outlet a battery backup would smooth out the dip so that the computer does not experience the dip in power?

If you don't have a battery backup, I would add one and see if that fixes your issue. If you don't already have one you should definitely add one for protection of your hardware and data in the occurrence of a quick drop or spike in power, or power outage that lasts a minute or longer you would be able to safely shutdown the computer before the battery is drained to put your computer to a shutdown safe state vs power removed drastically which causes loss of data and corruption.

You might be able to get by with a 750VA, but I would suggest a 1000VA or even a 1500VA UPS if you can afford to go with one that can handle a heavier load/ longer battery runtime at lesser load.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
    Hi

I'm having trouble finding data on a i7-4790l CPU, is the number correct? If it is 4.00 ghz it is probable an  i7-4790K. The K version needs Bios revision 1302 or later to support the CPU. So if the bios is earlier you may need to update the Bios or take it in to a tech. 

CPU list is here  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87K/HelpDesk_CPU/
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 01:57:58 PM »