Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System is constantly checking something, what/why?  (Read 12088 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    System is constantly checking something, what/why?
    « on: April 18, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
    I know there are various executables that need constant checking of network/internet. And I don't mind, as long as it doesn't have a noticeable impact on the system's performance. But this one does :(
    I just got this pc about a month ago, it's an Acer Nitro 50n-600 (i7 8700, 16 Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb, *Win10 Pro). Sure it's not one of the best, but it's not too shabby either, and it's got what I need.
    But now thanks to this issue, every program I use has to do a pause on whatever the program is doing just so that annoying process gets done, which takes about 3 to 4 seconds. I know it doesn't sound long, but you can notice it for sure. Especially when I'm playing Left 4 Dead 2, boy! Is it ever annoying!!! When the pause is over, I am a few meters away from where I was before. Or dead.
    What could this be?
    Are there any log files I should check?

Thanks guys!

* I upgraded the OS

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: System is constantly checking something, what/why?
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
    Only thing I have had like this before was caused by a free to play MMORPG game that used my computer as a Bit Torrent seed. Basically while my computer was on others needing patches and update files were sometimes getting them from me. This made my hard drive busy and so it lagged out games that required loading of large map files etc. Pando Media Booster was the service that I had to kill off. However when playing the game it required that this service be active. I was able to block it from uploading by changing firewall setting so that it was active but unable to upload and only able to download patches for myself.

I'd look at the hard drive indicator when this lag happens. If you see the hard drive light/LED lit during the lag then it could be a problem like the one that I had. Look for game services that arent needed for game your playing and turn them off and see if the problem goes away. If you notice that everything is better with a specific game service shut off then google that service name and see if there is a work around to making it better behave.

The other solution could be to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD so that the data is fetched faster and so no 3 or 4 seconds of lag.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
    Check all the apps that are in your Startup folder.....don't dis-able anything if you don't know what it is...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
      It turns out it was one of the many Acer utilities that came with the pc. I am just so happy that I don't have to put up with that anymore.
      Thanks for your insights guys!

DPC

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »
      Good news...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "