Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't start  (Read 3653 times)

Balisurf

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer won't start
    « on: April 07, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
    Hi,

My Windows Vista PC has decided not to start. Please see the attachments of photos of what comes on the screen. It just keeps going round in circles from booting to telling me to enter Configuration Utility. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer won't start
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
    Looks like you have a RAID controller enabled in that system. Do you want RAID to be running or do you not need RAID?

CTRL-I looks like it would bring you into the RAID Configuration Utility for the RAID controller. If you dont need RAID then disable RAID.

Lastly if your CMOS battery is weak or borderline weak and the RAID controller is onboard to the motherboards BIOS vs that of an add-on RAID controller, the weak 2032 CMOS battery can cause the system to loop like this on you and not accept proper input of configuration choice. So swapping out the 2032 battery with a new battery may fix this issue to where the next time you configure it it accepts and moves on.

Balisurf

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
      Thanks Dave,

I'll get a new battery and let you know how it goes.

:)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 04:32:35 PM »
      Bad battery...good call Dave.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Balisurf

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »
        Hi,

I have installed the new battery, but unfortunately this hasn't fixed it. After installing it I reset the clock and time, then it said Floppy Diskette seek failure. I researched this and have disabled the "Onboard or USB Floppy Drive".

"Looks like you have a RAID controller enabled in that system. Do you want RAID to be running or do you not need RAID?" - I have tried to research this and still don't really know whether I need it or not. My System is Dual Core and has 2 Hard drives.

CTRL-I looks like it would bring you into the RAID Configuration Utility for the RAID controller. If you don't need RAID then disable RAID." -  As you say, CTRL-I goes into the RAID Configuration Utility for the RAID controller, but I don't know how I should proceed with this. When I did some research on this it says that "Delete RAID Volume" or Reset Disks to Non-RAID" will delete memory from my computer. Is this all my files like a factory reset or just some temporary files?
        My main objective is not loosing my files.

I have attached a screen shot of where I am at now.

Many thanks for your ongoing support with this.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »
        After installing the battery did you set BIOS back to default settings ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Balisurf

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »
          Yes I did, but no luck I'm afraid.