Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scratch 3 on Windows 7 and 8.1?  (Read 8929 times)

Youself2254

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Scratch 3 on Windows 7 and 8.1?
    « on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:55 AM »
    When install Scratch 3 on Windows 7/8.1, requires windows 10 only. and is there a way to run scratch 3 on windows 7/8.1?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Scratch 3 on Windows 7 and 8.1?
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »
    If you have a system that is Windows 10 you can install it and then copy the Scratch 3 folder contents to a thumb drive and then copy/paste that folder into the Windows 7 system and get it working I have heard, but haven't tried.

I ran into a similar issue with software that dropped support for Windows XP that would refuse to install to XP, yet i could install the software to a Windows 7 system and then copy the folder contents of it to thumb drive and copy paste that to the Windows XP system for the 32-bit version of software.

Running it on Windows 7, if it works, would be at your own risk for projects getting corrupted or crashing.

Here is another source that hints on it working on 7 when performing the install to 10.

Requirements Windows 10 writes but works in Windows 7

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/326861/?page=38

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:59:55 PM »
    It doesn't and won't work...just sayin.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
    Is it the WebGL that makes it non functional on 7 patio or some other reason like a registry hook that is missing etc?

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
    https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Offline_Editor

For Scratch to run properly, the following minimum system requirements are needed:[1]

Windows 10 or later or macOS 10.13 or later, though users have reported successfully running the editor on Windows 7

Curious what dependency is needed for it to work on 7. If I have some time tonight I will try to install it to a spare Windows 7 system. If I run into troubles i will try the install to a Windows 10 build and try the thumb drive placement from 10 to 7 system to see if it works or not.

I haven't played with Scratch in a while. My daughter was learning how to program at school with it and I ended up putting either Scratch 1.4 or 2.0 on her computer to play with it in her free time a few years ago. Maybe an earlier build of 3.0 worked on 7 and a later revised build of 3.0 killed off its ability to run on 7.  :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »
    I cannot find any way to even install scratch 3.0. Everything I find seems to *claim* there is a 3.0 offline version, and directs me to https://scratch.mit.edu/download, but that appears to download 1.2.1.  I didn't notice at first, but copying the contents of C:\Users\BC_Programming\AppData\Local\Programs\scratch-desktop to a Win7 computer in the same location and it runs fine. However, so does the installer. If the executable version number is any indicator, I think it is 1.2.1. The online version works fine on Windows 7 via Chrome.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.