Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pinging between Win host and VM's on host  (Read 3210 times)

Base10

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Expert
    Pinging between Win host and VM's on host
    « on: April 10, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
    Hi there,

I have Windows 10 as a host.  I can ping the other Win10 VM and my Linux VM from the host.  I can ping from Win VM to hostand to the linux VM.  However I can only ping the host from the linux VM.  When I try ping from linux VM to win VM I get nothing.

I have not changed any IP settings at all.  There is clearly an issue and I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Rgds,
    B10  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Pinging between Win host and VM's on host
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »
    Is there a firewall enabled, that disabling it might point out to if its being blocked by firewall?

I had an issue a while back with NAT and Virtual Machines. But that was found to be an issue with host computer running IPv6 and the VM's were running IPv4. So also just to check that they are all IPv4 or IPv6 and no blend? My fix was to set the host system to IPv4 and then everything worked fine with other systems calling to the VM's that were IPv4 based behind the host system running them that was using IPv6 from DHCP with VM's that had IPv4 static IP addresses set for them.

Base10

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:11:10 PM »
      Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure whats happening here.  I've tried your suggestion and I've set host to IPv4 only.  Set both VM machines to IPv4 only and still the same.

Both VM's are set to be the same network and have the same default gateway yet only one of them can ping both host and Linux .  The Linux VM can still only ping the host machine.  The only thing that seemed odd was that when I ran route-n the default gateway was set to 0.1 instead of 0.2 but I changed that to be the same but it had no affect on the outcome.  Don't suppose you can think of anything else. 

Rgds,
      B10

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
      Have you shut off Software/OS firewall to see if this is cause of no ping response?

Some anti-DDoS measures are used to not reply to Pings.

Base10

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
        Hey Dave,

Yeah I tried that and it never worked.  However.... I forgot about the Win 10 VM lol  I switch off the firewall and the Linux VM can now ping the Win 10 VM.  The Linux VM stopped pinging the host but for some reason rest default gateway but I changed that and all is okay now.  Everything pining everything.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it !!

Rgds,
        B10

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
        Sweet  :)