Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wifi access  (Read 2725 times)

amanzon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    wifi access
    « on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:08 AM »
    Good morning.
    I am moving for a few weeks in a house that doesn't have wifi and I am trying to find a solution to get data access on my computer as I need to work from home.
    My phone plan does not offer a feasible option to hook that up as hotspot as the max plan is 5gb and I think I need much more than that. ideally unlimited as I do a lot of remote desktop and virtual conferences.

Is there any hotspot which offers a unlimited (or high amount) of data month to month (no contract for a year or so as I only need to 6 to 8 weeks) for no more than $100/month?

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Anna

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: wifi access
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
    Hi Anna

Before deciding on what plan to use could you check your current data usage.
    To do this, search in Windows 10 for Data usage and it will show you how much you have used in the last 30 days. There is the option on the page to see the usage by app as well.

What wireless options do you have in the new area ?.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

amanzon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: wifi access
      « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
      Thank Lisa. Yes I had looked at that, but I have actually had this computer for just a couple of weeks, and had to sync my data so I am not sure I can trust that. I do see about 12GB on chrome but i also see 90GB on back up and sync (google drive) which I guess it was just due to the new laptop. In any case, I'm confident I'll need over 50GB a month to feel comfortable.

I want to have wifi at home where I'll be leaving, there is good LTE. From my personal search (as pretty ignorant gal on tech) I feel my best option would be to get a hotspot for cheap through freedompop for example, and then get a month to month plan from Sprint which seems to have a month to month for $65 at 100GB...

...unless someone has a better suggestion...

thanks
      Anna