Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Bridges for home networking without using Ethernet cable  (Read 2894 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dear Experts

Friend of mine ask me if I can connect a main wireless router which is connected to the internet ADSL and it is located inside his house to a secondary wireless router which is supposed to be used in the backyard of the house where his workshop to be able to use the internet and connected two wired printers (i.e not wireless) to the second router.

Yes I know how to connect those wireless router via Ethernet cable and he won’t to use Ethernet cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nTgQQbF9zo

The above YouTube back 2010 (bit old) showing how to connect wireless router to wireless access point (not router) without cable

Does that mean I need the second device to be wireless access point not wireless router ???

I need to find out details for those two wireless routers

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless Bridges for home networking without using Ethernet cable
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »
    Been there,done that.  :)

Yes, you can use devices to make a wireless bridge. But the limits are set by the first router. If the first router does not allow it, then you will have to do more work. Using a wireless bridge may/will reduce the throughput for every wireless device on the system. That is why the first router  might not allow it.

So the layout might be like this:

First router, DSL with Wi-Fi and Ethernet with cable to second router.
    Second router has wireless bridge to third  router.The two must be the kind that allow this sort of thing. They share the same channel for wireless.

A pair of devices made just for this implication go for about $100 to $200
    Do you need a list of cheap devices that might work just as good?  ;)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
    What you'd usually use is a second access point that supports "Station" or "Client" mode, you'd set this up to connect to the main network and then connect devices to the AP's Ethernet port (using a switch if more ports are required).

It has nothing to do with the main router needing to support it, if the existing router allows regular wireless devices to connect, then there's nothing stopping you connecting an additional AP acting as a client.  Not sure what Geek is saying about it reducing throughput, it won't be any worse than having an additional regular wireless device (laptop, phone.etc) connected.

Some wireless *routers* may also support these modes although strictly speaking what you're looking for is an "access point" as you won't be using any routing functionality on the wireless client end, all that would still be provided by the main router.  If you had a *router* that supported this functionality, using it would essentially turn it into an access point anyway.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
    Dictation.
    In my first post I do not clarify all the different possibilities that might be in used to make up a bridge connection. And I did not know exactly what the original poster wanted. He said the connection without using ethernet, which is nearly impossible.
    There is a mode where you can use several routers together without any ethernet connection, but he's not going to be able to do that because he has already a DSL modem that will not support that mode.
    What you offered is not much different than what I suggested. In any case, somewhere there has to be an Ethernet connection between at least two routers. In the extreme case he might even have to go to using for routers connected together in a mix of wireless and Ethernet bridges. The original poster needs to clarify just how much effort is willing to put forth to achieve his goals. There are many ways to get the an Ethernet cable through a wall or under a rug or through a very small opening. But he indicated that he wants to go wireless without any Ethernet, which he did not clarify. If two routers are cooked together but it just 18 inches of Ethernet, it's still an Ethernet connection.
    The mode that is not going to be able to move use is called the "Ad Doc " mode.  Otherwise, anything else is going to require a little bit of Ethernet somewhere.
    END.  :)
    EDIT: There are many posts in the CH archives on "Wireless Bridge"
    The OP needs to clarify exactly what he needs and can afford.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:07:57 PM by Geek-9pm »

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm
      He said the connection without using ethernet, which is nearly impossible.
      What I meant no Ethernet connection between two routers if possible as there are located in two different buildings
      but no problem to attach devices inside each buildings to its relative wireless router