Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless laptop conections  (Read 21203 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Wireless laptop conections
    « on: April 26, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
    I'm in the market for a laptop and the one I like performance wise and other things (8GB ram, DVD writer) only has B, G, and N on the wireless connections. Except for the OS, I have that on my old laptop but it won't connect in most motels/hotels. Another one I like has all connections, a, b, c, g, and n but doesn't have but 4gb ram and no DVD writer. Both are HP. Am I overthinking this? I'm going cheap because I'm not wanting anything but watching sports/youtube and general surfing. One with 4 GB ram and no DVD writer is $311. The high performance one is $361. I thought having a DVD writer and 4 more gigs of ram was worth 40 bucks but the b,g.n made me wonder. I can't upgrade the one with 4 GB of ram. BTW, the high performance has an AMD A6 at 2.6 GH and the cheaper one has an AMD Ryzen 3 at 2.5 GH.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:17:15 PM by jbubb »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless laptop conections
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
    You said "...only has B, G, and N on the wireless connections. "'
    That is not important. Why do you think you need more?
    The 802.11 n is very good and will continue to be used for a long time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
      Thanks, Geek-9pm, I just wasn't sure. So is it the OS that determines connectivity?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:32:07 PM »
      No, the 802.11? protocol is in the hardware.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »
        OK, I have this old 95 Toshiba XP laptop that has a built-in slot for wireless connection card and also have a Netgear USB plugin and neither will connect to today's technology. My wife has a somewhat newer Compaq laptop and her's won't either. Why? Do I/we need new adapters? It's late here and I don't feel like checking things now. I was messing with it and realized it's been a long, long time since I had messed around with things.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »
        Definitely get the one with 8GB RAM as for 4GB is not enough at times for some systems that I have that are running Windows 10 64-bit. Lots of paging goes on with 4GB. I upgraded one system that could take 8GB maximum to 8GB from 4GB and it behaves so much better. Drastic difference with less paging going on.

As per DVD Writers in laptops, they are being phased out of most models. You can still find them but you might find yourself liking a bunch of laptop models and then the lack of a DVD-RW drive being a bummer for them not having it.

A friend of mine had a tight budget of $400 and wanted a DVD-RW drive, yet he wanted a i5 or i7 processor laptop. I ended up finding him a refurbished laptop that is a HP Core i7 5th generation with DVD-RW drive with 16GB RAM and 240GB SSD with Windows 10 for $399.99 and he loves how fast it is and it has everything he needs. Only drawback to buying used is that the warranty on them is usually shorter than a new laptop. He has a 1 year warranty with his new used laptop purchase.

So you can find higher end hardware on the cheap by buying used. Just be careful who you buy from that it has a warranty and they have good feedback to know they will stand behind what they sell you vs stiffing you.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »
        95 Toshiba XP laptop... so it came originally with Windows 95 and you upgraded it to XP at some point and its a Pentium II Processor?

I had a Toshiba Portege with Pentium II 266Mhz that i got XP to install to but it maxed out at 192MB RAM so it wasnt the fastest with XP. My Portege I sold about 13 years ago, but it came with Windows 98 when i bought it as a refurb from Tiger Direct for $249.99

If its running Windows XP you can plug a USB Wireless Adapter into USB port and get it connected to the internet that way. Just have to be careful to buy a USB Network Adapter that clearly states that it supports Windows XP.

I had a USB Wireless Network Adapter on my Pentium III 500Mhz Dell with 384MB RAM running Windows XP SP2 and it had no problems with wireless connectivity to B,G, and N networks. the wireless adapter cost me $15 on newegg and plugged into the 1 and only USB port which was USB 1.1

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 10:36:51 PM »
          Thanks for the info Dave, my Toshiba is a 966Mhz with 256 ram, Pentium III SP3. I guess I need to look for another adapter like you said. The wireless card that came with it is a Zonet lEEE802.11G. The computer sees the card when it's plugged in but it won't connect. I need to look for the USB Netgear one, sometimes it would work when the card wouldn't. It seems like neither works at motels anymore. They were connecting to my Linksys but not tonight.                                                                   

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 05:12:35 AM »
          Just to let you know, if a system supports 802.11n, then it is also backward compatible with a, b, c & g.  Each new iteration maintains compatibility with the previous.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
            • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
          « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:43:45 AM »
          Nowadays the WiFi that comes with any new laptop will be sufficient for most uses.  It's much more important to look at the other specs, I'd go with 8gb of RAM as a minimum nowadays, a relatively decent CPU and ideally an SSD over a hard drive.  What are you planning on using the machine for as this will be the most important thing in deciding what machine is more suitable.  Is there any reason you're tied to those two machines?  Would also be useful if you could link them here.

Loads of modern laptops won't include DVD drives due to the space they take up inside the machine, you can always use a USB one for when you need DVDs so I wouldn't discount a laptop without one unless you need to use DVDs all the time.

As for WiFi, as strollin said, they are backwards compatible so you don't need to worry about that.  Most decent laptops will support the latest "802.11ac" standard which is the latest "mainstream" standard replacing N.  A laptop that only supports 802.11n will work but I'd be concerned that it's an older/bottom of the range model since AC is pretty much the standard on all new machines.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
            First of all, thanks to all who replied. As mentioned, my Zonet card is a (g), maybe that's why it won't connect to motels that are running Windows 10 or a,c? As you can tell it's been a long time since I've dabbled in this stuff. I'm going to hardwire my laptop this morning, update all drivers and go to youtube and see if the stream is fast enough to enjoy. I hate buffering. To answer other questions, I agree that the more ram the better. I have two home computers that have 12 and 16. The two laptops mentioned were at Walmart and both HP. I like HP over Dell and others I have no experience with. The $311 one is marked down from 359 and is an HP Ryzen, why it shows $329 now I don't know.
            https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-Laptop-15-6-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200U-AMD-Radeon-Vega-3-1TB-HDD-4GB-SDRAM-Jet-Black-15-db0066wm/471500900

The $361 with 8gb ram and DVD writer is also an HP.
            https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-High-Performance-Home-Business-Laptop-AMD-A6-Dual-Core-Processor-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-15-6-HD-1366-x-768-AMD-Radeon-R4-WiFi-Bluetooth-DVD-Win-10-H/600015985?selected=true

I'd say it's a no brainer which of the two to pick from, right?

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
              I had forgotten how slow this Toshiba with XP was. I've been messing with it for 2 hours now and have hardly gotten anything done.

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
              It seems like neither works at motels anymore. They were connecting to my Linksys but not tonight.

One issue you can be running into with this is that the browser is out of date for whatever the hotel has as a web page to agree to terms and conditions to. As well as some require you to enter room number and last name to authenticate.

If you have a kindle or some other device with an up to date browser you may find that the getting connected is easy, however an out of date browser is unable to load the webpage for the hotel or motel which requires you to agree to terms and conditions as well as possibly enter info to prove your a paying customer of a room before it gives a wireless lease to your computer.

With XP, I think all browsers are out of date for it as support has been dropped across the board. So if thats the issue your running into, then you pretty much need a newer computer that has a new enough browser to support the page that normally would load that you need to agree to to get connected.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
                I totally agree with the browser issue being the problem. I've been shopping and am about to put out a few more bucks and get a 17.3 screen with all the goodies for about $429. I'll probably get a dud, the story of my life. Anyway, here it is. I'm going with 12 GB ram which jumps it to $429.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryId=3074457345618816819&quantity=1&color=jet+black
                « Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:34:51 PM by jbubb »

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
                The link provided just brings up the base model without extras added, but looking in the options as long as you go with Ryzen CPU you should be all set. I'd avoid the A9-9425 dual-core and get the Ryzen if you can afford to and if not already purchased.

I have a system with A8-5545 and its a quadcore 1.7Ghz with 2.7Ghz turbo and pretty good but the dual-cores I avoid these days. I bought this A8-5545 system because of the quadcore performance which outperforms some A9 and A10 processors. However I have a new laptop with a Ryzen 3 and I like that systems performance better.

If you havent ordered already, I'd try to get a quadcore Ryzen such as the AMD Ryzen™ 3 2300U (2 GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 6 Graphics if budget permits.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
                  Thanks, Dave, I was hoping someone would Ok my choice or offer their opinion. I will check it out. I had decided to go back to the 8 GB ram because one of my Desktops has 8 and it streams videos very good. That would knock the price back down to $349. instead of $429. The reason for that is if I get a stinker, I won't lose more bucks. Price isn't too much of an obstacle except for pleasing the wifey. ;D

PS: OK, I went and selected what you said and it hiked the price back to $429 which is what I almost did anyway. My only problem with what you suggested is the processor power. It drops it from 3.1-3.7 GHz to a 2.0-3.4 GHz. Does the 4 core make it that much better? BTW, they have a AMD Ryzen 5 2500u Quad-core (2GHz to 3.6GHz + AMD RADEON Vega 6 graphics and it's the same price. Is the Ryzen 5 not better than the Ryzen 3? I know this is a silly question but why do they say 4 cores instead of Quad core. They do that twice in the selection boxes to customize.?
                  « Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:34:08 AM by jbubb »

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
                    I have to back up on what I said about the Ryzen 5, it's $125 more and the 3 is $80. I called sales and got the warranty info and asked why 4 core and quad-core is mentioned just for kicks. We know it's the same and that's what he said. So when the wifey gets home I'll get her OK. Boy am I PWed. ;D

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                      « Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
                      OK, Dave. I ordered the AMD Ryzen™ 3 2300U (2 GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 6 Graphics this afternoon. I'll keep you updated if you want me too. Delivery is about May 11.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                      • Geek After Dark
                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                      « Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
                      For what it's worth.
                      Anybody that only needs to watch videos and movies over internet can save a lot of money by NOT putting dollars into any laptop or desktop. Just get a ROKU and plug it into almost any modern TV set. It requires a wireless Internet connection. ;D

But if you are a game player... that's a different thing.  8)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                        « Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 02:42:26 PM »
                        I hear you on the ROKU Geek but I want it for the portable convenience as much as anything. I want it for on the road and to sit in my easy chair and watch sports or do other things while the wifey is tying up the TV. I used to go to my computer and do these things but have a physical problem and have trouble sitting at the computer for too long. Besides, laptops are great for vacations. Thanks for the advice anyway.

DaveLembke

Sage
                        « Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
                        Biggest benefit of getting processing and video processing power above the base model is that you should get more years of use out of it than the base model processing power. For example I went cheap and bought a Netbook in 2009 looking just at the fact that it was small portable and was able to stream and play some simple games online through facebook etc. 3 years later it struggled to play the streaming content even after a clean system build back to clean factory like the day i got it. It is the fact that technology gets more complex as time passes and while there is no such thing as a future proof computer, if I had bought a laptop with a better CPU and GPU I may be still using it today. However this annoyance of the Netbook no longer able to stream even youtube videos without stuttering and having to go with the lowest video settings of 360 to get them to play somewhat bearable but grainy looking taught me not to get just the bare minimum that works for me now, but pay a little more for hardware that is slightly better than the bare minimum, as for I bought a replacement laptop to it in 2013 and 6 years later its still able to stream and play some lower end games without any trouble.

So even if your not a gamer, it is definitely worth it to buy what you bought for the better than bare minimum as for you should get a good 6+years out of it for streaming instead of maybe 3 or so if you went with the A9 instead.

The netbook cost me $249.99 and the replacement in 2013 cost me $279.99 ( both bought on black friday sales ). Had I spent another $100 -$150 on a better laptop in 2009, I could have saved myself money.

If you take care of the new laptop it could last you in excess of 10 years, however as the processing demands for CPU and GPU processing power increase, someday it wont be able to keep up with the streaming if legacy resolution video streams are not available and an extreme high definition becomes the standard which would put extra burden on aged dated electronics.

For college I needed a newer laptop for Graphic Design, Animation, and Video Editing and I bought a Lenovo 330S with the Ryzen 5 2500U Quadcore APU ( APU = CPU/GPU combined in a single processor package ) on sale for $349.99 normally $429.99 and I am very happy with it.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                          « Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 05:05:39 PM »
                          Thanks Dave, you're a gem. Thanks for the time to explain things for us less than geeky dudes like me. BTW, what ancestry is Lembke? Just curious. ;D I'm German/Indian myself.