Software > Computer games

Free games for Crap PC's

(1/1)

mario:
Hey Guys!

Looking for! As the title states, free games (or even cheap) titles that your average PC can handle. I have 2 laptops that I will be handing down that have first and second generation i5 CPU's 4gb ram, and Intel HD 3000 (and I forget the other card) LOL.

I have a copy of Mario forever installed as well as GTA VC, but was wondering if there is any free titles that can be run smoothly on a PC like this. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Geek-9pm:
To begin, the forum will not help you prate software.
Now then, having said that,  let's talk about Public Domain Software.
Many years ago I sold copies of Public Domain Software. That is legal under some limitations. One can not claim Public Domain Software is hi sown. Once in public domain, it has to stay there.
Here is a quick reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-domain_software

--- Quote ---Public-domain software is software that has been placed in the public domain: in other words, there is absolutely no ownership such as copyright, trademark, or patent. Software in the public domain can be modified, distributed, or sold even without any attribution by anyone; this is unlike the common case of software under exclusive copyright, where software licenses grant limited usage rights.

Under the Berne Convention, which most countries have signed, an author automatically obtains the exclusive copyright to anything they have written, and local law may similarly grant copyright, patent, or trademark rights by default. The Berne Convention also covers programs. Therefore, a program is automatically subject to a copyright, and if it is to be placed in the public domain, the author must explicitly disclaim the copyright and other rights...
--- End quote ---

Some very old PD software can be adapted to older PCs. To find some, yu can do your own search, Look for:
public domain software downloads
and find lots of old stuff.
Here is a good place to start:
https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/
Have fun!  ;D

EDIT:Public Domain and FreeWare and not the same. 

DaveLembke:
I have a Second Generation Intel Celeron 1000M 1.8Ghz Dual-Core with HD2500 GPU with 4GB RAM and i play free games on it through a Steam Account. Many of the free to play games run fine on it. You just need to create a Steam Account which is free for each laptop and then look at their list of free to play games and install the games. Then just need an internet connection to authenticate for each steam account and then your off to gaming and in some games even coop play as well as player vs player depending on what titles you decide to download and run on the computers.

Your laptops are about the same age as mine and you have the better Core i5. I have the lowest processing power Celeron 1000M.

Other games that play fine on it are flash based games on the web, although the slot machine games there is lag in the dials that scroll with my Celeron 1000M, however more complicated game titles like Path of Exile which is a game similar to Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 and free to play plays just fine on the laptop, however no multitasking going on when gaming. I have to close my browser that is a memory hog eating 1.5GB of my 4GB and just run the games, then when done with games i can go back to browser open for the games that are non web based. Flash games require the browser to be running but generally allow mutitasking of music streaming etc while gaming. the Core i5 you have is much better than my Celeron so you might find that multitasking isnt a problem even with the higher end games that my Celeron needs to be running just the game for to avoid lag and lots of memory paging to hard drive.

Salmon Trout:
I must be getting old, if a PC with anything i5 is "crap".

BC_Programmer:
Core i-series systems are far more capable than the OP is giving them credit for.

RAM would very likely be upgradable to at least 8GB.... but not for free. If they only have integrated graphics that will limit the selection.

The most limiting factor is probably that they have to be free. That pretty much discounts all the examples I can think of.

--- Quote ---I must be getting old, if a PC with anything i5 is "crap".
--- End quote ---

I thought the same. I thought- wow, if a PC with anything i5 is a crap PC, Salmon Trout must be getting old!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version