Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I stop torrents on local network.  (Read 825 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How can I stop torrents on local network.
« on: April 27, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
I have used over a TB of data this month. And the month is not yet over. :'(

It might be somebody hacked my Wi-Fi password.
Or on of my extended family has a torrent running.  :o

For the first item,I changed both my SID and password.  :D
Now how can I stop any torrent activity? This is rather delicate. Telling him  no does not do much good. He just doesn't understand what torrents do. So, how do I stop or reduce torrent activity? Do I need another kind  of router?

I think I used to know how to do it. Twenty years ago. I forgot. :-[
Any suggestions?   :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How can I stop torrents on local network.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
There is no realistic way of doing so, unless you want to block everything except port 80 and port 8080, which will affect a lot of other stuff.

It might be somebody hacked my Wi-Fi password.
You can see connected clients within your router's admin panels. You can confirm that all the listed host names are a known device. usually, a "hacker" or somebody using your connection without permission would be farther away (eg, a neighbour or wardriver) and would therefore have a low signal strength. That is usually shown in the admin panel listing wireless clients.

You could utilize QoS features of your rounter and limit bandwidth to systems other than your own. Sometimes you can set them up to record traffic so you can see which hosts/clients are using up outgoing bandwidth.

What pops out at me though is that you are directly acting on a vague suspicion, though. The only evidence you have is high Data usage according to your ISP. That doesn't really point at torrents. You don't even know what LAN systems are using that bandwidth. It would take a LOT of torrents to download that much data, and while torrents also seed that data to other systems, typical consumer internet is assymetric and the upload speeds are typically paltry compared to download speeds.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Inventor of the Magna-Broom 3000 =)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »
You might be able to find the system or device that is consuming the data like that through running Wireshark.

https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN

Once you have the mac address of the device(s) that are a problem you can throttle them way back using QoS setting as BC also mentioned.

If your router is able to be flashed with DD-WRT and your familiar with configuring router settings, I would highly suggest that as for it will give you high end router controls in a low cost router. I am using DD-WRT on my routers and have all sorts of QoS rules set. I have Vonage VoIP and had issues with people streaming and downloading causing the phone to cut out. But after QoS configured to give the phone a priority of a slice of bandwidth when in use, the problem went away. (Warning: Flashing a router with DD-WRT will void manufacturer warranty if it has one as well as if you dont pair up the correct flash to the make/model and revision of your router you can turn it into a paperweight.)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Thank you both.
It is hard to see how I could go over my limit of a terabyte before the end of the month. But Comcast says I have. I spoke with tech support.

I have in myu spare parts chest some older routers. Two LINKSYS 54G types. The newer one is a WRT54G v3.1 and already has been flashed for the DD-WRT,  I don't remember if it has the QoS stuff in it. I will heck it out.

Meanwhile, I am going to block MAC devices that have no name. Is there a way to find the name from the MAC?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Inventor of the Magna-Broom 3000 =)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »
I would perform a audit of what you have for hardware and write down each devices MAC Address. You can lock out all other devices from connecting to your wifi by making only devices that are approved as part of a WHITE LIST which are given a DHCP lease. If the MAC Address is not added to the routers white list it is then blocked by being black listed.

Only way someone could get around this would be if they knew one of the MAC Addresses and cloned their MAC Address on one of their devices to assume one of the approved MAC addresses. But the password should be a strong password that keeps people out as well, so that only approved devices connect to your wifi.

https://snaz.com/adding-security-to-your-wifi-network-with-a-mac-white-list/

Procedure to build a MAC whitelist on a DD-WRT router:

Click “Wireless… MAC Filter”
Click “Enable” on “Use Filter:
Click “Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network” on “Filter Mode”
Click “Save”, Click “Apply Settings”
Click button “Edit MAC Filter List”
In the pop-up you can enter up to 256 MAC addresses.  The MAC address for your device can usually be found in the settings of the network or WI-FI depending on device.  The format is six HEX addresses separated by a colon. Example: 08:00:69:E2:01:FE
Click “Save”, Click “Apply Settings

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »
It is hard to see how I could go over my limit of a terabyte before the end of the month. But Comcast says I have. I spoke with tech support.
Ahh- this actually helps. Comcast has been known to wildly inflate data usage numbers, as much as twice or even four times the actual usage. There's been evidence suggesting that from users who have done everything to try to figure out where their bandwidth was being used to the level of recording all incoming and outgoing traffic and logging the total amount; the Comcast numbers were always excessively higher than the numbers they recorded. In one case, a user even switched to another ISP but decided to pay for a month of Comcast- leaving it entirely disconnected. Somehow his last bill was still right below the bandwidth cap. Strange.

A secondary theory is not that they are inflating the numbers, but that they don't bother to make sure the accounts actually match up with the recorded values. That would explain why they are inconsistent, And people aren't likely to grow concerned if they know they downloaded a lot but it only shows a tenth of their bandwidth cap.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Wow! Things I never knew.  >:(

Recently somebody here said that windows 10 can tell yu how mush windows has used. I was shocked. I could not believer how much data has been logged by Windo0ws 10.

I checked around and found this:

Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth...

The article is over three years old.
Please tell me that is not true.    :'(

EDIT: Wait, there's more. Comcast go a big black eye  when the GCC hist them with a 3 million plus fine for cramming customers bills.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:18:55 PM by Geek-9pm »

Lisa_maree

Adviser

• Just because it fits doesn't mean it works.
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
Hi Geek,

Windows 10 default is to load updates if available from other computers on the local network. This SAVES on internet data. You can use the activity monitor to see how much data windows update is using and where the data is coming from.

So windows update needs to have it selected to share updates over the internet.

One of the high users of data is the default by u tube to load the next video. Often I find a browser tab playing u tube .

Anyway here is the activity of windows update on my computer. Which is 500 gb  of updates for April alone.