Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Valid UBCD iso to work with USB?  (Read 4683 times)

Duster55

Valid UBCD iso to work with USB?
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »
Hello,

New here and first post.  First off I apologize for voting no to this https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001417.htm helping me.

It seems I am either VERY stupid or I am getting an ISO that is not working with Universal USB Installer.  I have tried two.
First one was from Old Geeks mirror site.  I tried selecting Parted Magic and got the error: Can't find pmagic_2013_08_01.SQFS
The second one was from 100-Downloads and got the following:

Syslinux 4.07 EDD... (version junk)

Unknon keyword in configuration file: L
Unknownkeyword in configuration file: linux.c32
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

I have decided to finally give in and ask for help from the wise ones of the forums :)
The directions in the post on how to do it are too simple to believe that I screwed something up, but you never know. I select the Ultimate Boot CD option first then <path>\ubcd538.iso then my USB drive and check format FAT32. Reboot and set boot device to the USB drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Valid UBCD iso to work with USB?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi

Because UBCD contains legacy  tools like an old version of parted magic it does not boot when UEFI is turned on in the bios.

If the main tool you want to use is Parted Magic consider buying the latest version which does support booting from pen drive, on a computer with UEFI enabled. 

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
You might have got a bad download.
I can not even download the link given. It is a torrent and I do not do torrents.
Also:
Please note that UBCD currently does not support UEFI Boot. If you have a UEFI machine, please remember to turn on CSM Boot in your BIOS.

I have no recommendations. 
Here is one of the links yu mention:
https://100-downloads.com/programs/system/ultimate-boot-cd/
That site also has Rufus.
I have not tried that site yet.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi

OMG that UBCD site would do your head in where is the actual download ?. Every link seems to take you to some advertising site. Perhaps until they make it easier
you would consider Hirans boot disk from here  https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

There is a drop down menu on the page for older versions
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 07:17:20 PM »
Me too.   :'(
Just now I tried.
I had to download from another site. Major Geeks.  :D
The I could not use Rufus. No idea why. :-\
So I go to Yumi,  a Linux based tool the can boot anything.
I has a bit of a learning curve, you have to select from a list what your are making. The list is very, very long.   :o

So yeah, it does boo, but you have to get your BIOS to bring it up.
I don't use the UFI thing.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
Skip the Google ad. Scroll down to find the download thing.  :)

Duster55

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:49:12 AM »
Thank you all for the responses. I have given up on it sadly, got tired of rebooting to llok stuff up, then switching to USB boot and back and forth. No, I do not have a smart phone to look stuff up because I have limited income.  Most people jaw drop when I tell them that.

A little more info: I have ASUS BIOS updated to 3/2018 and it has an option for CSM it is set to auto so I just left it, could have set to enable, I guess.  I set the boot from windows UEFI to Other OS.  Then set it to boot from the PNY USB drive in the boot order and override boot. Which I figured would do it IF the process worked.  As I mentioned it did boot on the first one I did with the UBCD menu but whe nI selected Parted Magic it couldn't find a file. I did see that there was a pmagic folder on the USB drive that was empty so that seemed like a bad sign. /shrug

Anyway, what I am REALLY trying to do is help someone get past the windows password using chntpw.  (http://www.chntpw.com/download/)  The instuctions on that site are not working for me either.  When I download and unzip there is no ISO file.  I try to boot the USB drive and it does a few things and gets to loading the kernel for linux and hangs.

Sorry I will stop babbling, thank you all again,
John

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 09:24:44 AM »
We finally get the real story....we do NOT assist with bypassing passwords here at all.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
Patio is right.
Somehow the word got out that we once helped somebody with password reset and we got a lot of people coming to us. We have no way on knowing who is honest and who is not. So we just have to stop helping people with password problems.

Come back when you have something else you need.  :D

Duster55

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
I am so sorry, please delete this post and I will not be back.  I am an honest person and I do not try to deceive anyone.  Patio's tone said it all, I doubt I can ever be trusted here.  Goodbye, but thanks for the other answers.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
My tone indicated nothing...i was simply stating what we do and don't do here...sorry if i offended you and Best of Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "