Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old to New PC Transfer  (Read 6340 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Old to New PC Transfer
    « on: May 10, 2019, 03:13:32 AM »
    Was looking at a couple 3rd party programs to transfer files, settings, apps, etc  from old to new PC. One is Laplink PC Mover (MS recommendation for Win 10) and Easeus. Both get wildly mixed reviews ranging from absolutely useless to the best thing since sliced bread. I can not tell if the problems are user error or these programs just do not work consistently depending on OS and hardware.

Thx for any comments you have regarding 3rd party PC transfer programs.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Old to New PC Transfer
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »
    Is there any reason you need to use software to move everything across? It may seem daunting but any time I move machine/reinstall I just copy my files across manually then reinstall any applications as and when I need them.  The way I see it is that if you're getting a nice new machine that's totally clean, it feels a bit counter-productive to then clog it up by transferring everything from an old machine.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:43 AM »
    I'm with camerongray, I've never felt the need to use 3rd party software to move things between old/new computer.

Transferring apps can be very spotty anyway, I prefer to just reinstall apps as I need them.  Some apps may never get reinstalled depending on whether I ever need them again or not.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »
      I don’t mind doing it clean but I have everything setup just like I want it. Actually, my first choice would be to simply restore a Macrium backup image on my new PC but I assume MS would have to give me permission to use my old Win 10 OS on the new PC motherboard. I would have to convince them I was going to retire my old PC.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »
      Unless the old/new PCs were extremely close hardware-wise, restoring a backup image from one PC to another probably wouldn't work.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
        Unless the old/new PCs were extremely close hardware-wise, restoring a backup image from one PC to another probably wouldn't work.

Never heard that before. Where would there be a hardware issue?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:30:52 AM »
        Never heard that before. Where would there be a hardware issue?

Strollin is absolutely correct. In fact, this is something that we tend to assume "everybody knows". When you take a Windows install CD or DVD, and use it to install Windows on a PC, the installer app on the disk chooses exactly the right drivers, etc, for the hardware it finds on the PC. That is, the chips on the motherboard, including the CPU, the memory, disk, USB and display etc controllers (the "chipset"). So the installation is tailored exactly to the PC's hardware. If the version of Windows is "OEM" (Original Equipment Manufacturer),  that is, it came with the the PC, then in addition there is a legal thing. You have a license to install and run Windows only on that PC, and no other. The installer will find unique serial numbers of the CPU, chipset, etc. Windows will be activated to run on that PC only. This also applies if you bought the PC with Windows already installed. Now, if you take that hard disk and put it in another, different PC, it might or might not work. If the PCs are absolutely identical (same CPU, same BIOS revision, same motherboard revision) it would probably boot but report a hardware mismatch and declare that Windows is not licensed. If the other PC was substantially different in hardware, Windows might boot but run like a stone dog, crash often, etc, or not even boot.

If the original version of Windows was a "full retail" disk, then you would still hit the licensing restriction as well as the hardware issues above.

Re the idea of restoring a Macrium image onto a second machine, same issues. If you had an OEM license, Microsoift aren't going to let you activate the second install, even if it works.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
          That is why I said I will need permission from MS. My Win 10 is a free upgrade from Win 7. I have read that MS will let me use it on another PC providing I retire my old rig. So, do I have a licensing issue or a true hardware issue?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
          So, do I have a licensing issue or a true hardware issue?

Did you read what I wrote? Different hardware ---> Windows may not work.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 12:29:23 PM »
            Did you read what I wrote? Different hardware ---> Windows may not work.

Yes, I read it but obviously did not understand it. It seemed like the hardware issues you mentioned were activation/licensing based. Since my PC is so old I doubt restoring an image will work so I will start from scratch. Thx to all for your responses.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
            OK I'll summarise. A Windows installation on a PC is tailored tightly to the hardware of that PC. If you try putting the hard drive in another PC, it may not work because of that fact. The licensing issue is another, additional, reason why it may be a bad idea.

Is this so hard to get? Consider: Windows installs on, and tailors itself to, an Asus motherboard with an i5 cpu. You take the disk out and mount it in a Dell machine with a Core 2 Duo CPU. Windows won't like it.

But it won't cost you anything to try it out.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:49:28 PM by Salmon Trout »

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 12:58:47 PM »
              OK I'll summarise. A Windows installation on a PC is tailored tightly to the hardware of that PC. If you try putting the hard drive in another PC, it may not work because of that fact. The licensing issue is another, additional, reason why it may be a bad idea.

Is this so hard to get? Consider: Windows installs on, and tailors itself to, an Asus motherboard with an i5 cpu. You take the disk out and mount it in a Dell machine with a Core 2 Duo CPU. Windows won't like it.

But it won't cost you anything to try it out.

Got it. I did not understand any of this. I thought it was purely an activation issue.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
              Good luck! It will be an interesting experiment, and won't cost you anything.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
                Good luck! It will be an interesting experiment, and won't cost you anything.

Not going to experiment with it. Seems like way too much trouble.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
                  This might be of interest:

Re-installing Windows 10 On New Motherboard

Geek, this is why I thought it would be so easy before I learned about the other hardware issues. My PC came with 2000 which I upgraded to XP (forget how I did that), then I bought/installed 7 and did the first year free upgrade to 10.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
                  My PC came with 2000 which I upgraded to XP (forget how I did that), then I bought/installed 7 and did the first year free upgrade to 10.

Just how old is this PC?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02:51 PM »
                    Just how old is this PC?

Have to double check but I am guessing 12+/- yo. Have replaced HDD at least twice and optical drive 3x. Also replaced and maxed out RAM at 4 gb. I almost fall asleep waiting for her to open Open Office or my Photo album. Oh, I also installed a Nvidia graphics card when my on board graphics failed maybe 7-8 years ago.

strollin

Adviser
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
                    Got it. I did not understand any of this. I thought it was purely an activation issue.
                    Remember, you said you wanted to take an image of your old PC and restore it to your new PC.  This is what we are saying will not work due to hardware differences.  However, if you have install disks and do a fresh install, then it becomes an activation issue.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                    • My first real computer
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
                    Hi

If both machines have licensed Windows 10  then Easues ToDo backup will backup your new computer , then backup your old computer . You restore the old computer to the new with the option that you are restoring to different hardware. And load the drivers for the new hardware. Some programs may need re activation. 

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/restore-system-to-dissimilar-hardware.html
                    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
                    ― John Bunyan

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 03:42:50 AM »
                      Hi

If both machines have licensed Windows 10  then Easues ToDo backup will backup your new computer , then backup your old computer . You restore the old computer to the new with the option that you are restoring to different hardware. And load the drivers for the new hardware. Some programs may need re activation. 

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/restore-system-to-dissimilar-hardware.html

Lisa, this addresses my original question. I know Easeus claims their program will do what you say. Laplink says the same about their PC mover. However, user reviews are extremely mixed. So, I was wondering if these programs do not work well consistently or if users are not using them correctly?

Edit:  I just found this. A very good explanation of why you can not simply restore an image to dissimilar hardware. I wonder if Macrium Redeploy is better or more reliable than Laplink or Easeus?

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50126.aspx
                      « Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:56:12 AM by artbuc »

J_Brown

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »
                        As for me, it seems better to reinstall the system and all necessary software. If you have setup files for all software you use it would take 1-2 hours or even less, and you will have "fresh" system without useless system files and other stuff.
                        As it was mentioned before, you can also try to move the HDD itself. I had several experiments of this kind. Win7 "survives" such movement whithout any trouble, it may just need some time to update drivers.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                        • My first real computer
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
                        Are you meaning reviews of EaseUS Todo PCTrans which yes moves some common programs and your data. I would do a backup of both computers. I have always been disappointed with what PCtrans can do even when you read the very good manual. Their todo backup works differently and yes does do total transfer with the option of restore to dissimilar hardware.

I don't use Macrium products so can't comment. For most of what I do Paragon Diskcopy, Paragon Disk manger and Todo backup covers most bases.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
                        ― John Bunyan