Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help understanding with Software/Program Placement and Why?  (Read 2432 times)

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner

Need help understanding with Software/Program Placement and Why?

As the subject title says! ;D

In a previous post I listed the drives to be used.
At the present I have the OS (Windows 7.1 with Platform update) on a 500GB SSD so called drive C, what to do with the other drives?
1. Do I put all programs on C or do I spread them about the other drives? ???
2. Do install on C Drive and Write to another drive? ???
3. ?

Thanks to all That apply 8)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Need help understanding with Software/Program Placement and Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »
When you install a standard program, yu have the option to choose the program folder. And yu have the option to allow all users to use it.

Assume the system is one drive C: and yu have lots of free space on drive D: and you want to place a new program there. Simple if you already have created a folder called "Programs Files" on that second drive. Just specify it is going there. The installer should take care of all the details.

Programs on the hard drive may load slower than what you get on the SSD. But you are making use of the space on the hard drive for a program that perhaps does not need to load fast.

Does that answer your question?
  :)

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
Thank You, Geek-9pm for your response.

Does it answer my question? Well it's a start for sure.

0. OS = Drive C: (OK Check)
1. So I put Video Editing Software on a Drive by itself, say Drive D: and then Audio Software on Drive E: and then Animation on Drive F:? (these would all be SSD's)
2. If so, do I put a folder called "Program Files" on each drive for each software or should the folder on each drive carry a different name, other than "Program Files"? (for lack of better words)
3. ?

Again Thank You:
Geek-9pm

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
You can me a program file directory:
"Program Files"
"Pro-Files"
"Mi Porgy"

Or what ever you like;D

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
You can me a program file directory:
"Program Files"
"Pro-Files"
"Mi Porgy"

Or what ever you like;D

Thank You for your valuable time Geek-9pm.

Lets see if I got this right...
So I put each Program/Software on a separate Drive and work with each said Program/Software on that Drive for which it is installed on? Correct?

As in this case for example???:

Drive C: = OS (500GB SSD)
Drive D: = Video Program/Software (CyberLink 16) + is the drive for video editing (1TB SSD)
Drive E: = Audio Program/Software (Presonus Pro3)+ is the drive for audio editing (500GB SSD)
Drive F: = Animation Program/Software (MOHO Pro12) + is the drive for animation editing (500GB SSD)

Again Thank You for your time Geek-9pm P.S. sorry for the delay!

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
There's no real reason to split things across drives, assuming your C: SSD is large enough I'd install all software to that in the default location suggested by the installer then use other drives for storing large files that can't fit in the C: drive.

TEC2LRN

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
There's no real reason to split things across drives, assuming your C: SSD is large enough I'd install all software to that in the default location suggested by the installer then use other drives for storing large files that can't fit in the C: drive.

Thanks 8) Yes the OS SSD is large enough for OS and all Software, 500GB SSD, I can do that but the Software creates files that would in time fill up the OS SSD and so on.

What I would prefer is to have all Software on the OS SSD and also to write the files created by the Software on the OS SSD to other SSD's. One for Video Editing , One for Audio Editing and One for the Editing of Animation, is this possible???

With that said maybe I should point out that the audio DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)  Presonus Studio One 3 pro has Sample Instruments/Sounds that come with it and will or possibly need/should be on another SSD, at the present there is just a total of 30Gigs of Drive space needed for Samples but I may want to add more Samples later on which will increase the size of space needed on any given Drive. So I guess Samples go on another Drive ;)

What are these Drives may I ask? Media Cache Drive??? Scratch Drive??? Caching Drive???

Thank You :)