Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Ctrl" key problem in laptops  (Read 3573 times)

yulan

"Ctrl" key problem in laptops
« on: June 20, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is joy (or nickname yulan) and I'm happy to have found this wonderful place. I love computers since decades ago, however or sadly, I did not or cannot able to study this subject, until recently I applied a course in Unity. I should have so many questions but right now, the most important thing is that

I cannot use the "Ctrl" key on my netbook. I did research and found that other people are suffering the same problem, all are laptop users, different brands, different era, the most early case I read was posted more than 10 years ago, all Windows system. I agree with others' comment that, it's not hardware problem, because both "Ctrl" keys are not functioning normally. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's not, seems problem occur randomly. I am already lost hope to that, if so many people have the same problem, and still no one can solve it. I read it's a Windows update that caused the map of keyboard something. I hope at least someone can help me the next question.

The next question is, I somehow avtivated the osk, I think it's on screen keyboard, while looking for solution online, but then I find that the on screen keyboard appear every time on startup automatically, which I don't like to use it. How can I turn it off? There is a close button at the upper-right corner of course, but then it will show up again the next time.

PS: My Windows is 7, and I read Win 10 users also have the same issue. If there's no clean solution to the "Ctrl" key thing, I see no reason to buy any more laptops... even though laptops are more long lasting than desktop according to my experience. Such a difficult decision if buying another PC in the future :(

Salmon Trout

Re: "Ctrl" key problem in laptops
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
CTRL keys: try this: press, at the same time, ALT + ctrl + fn keys.

Disable on-screen keyboard, Windows 7: "Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard" and uncheck the "Use On-Screen Keyboard" option and click Ok. Then, on the left panel there's the "Change administrative settings" options. Click it and check the "Apply all settings to the logon desktop" and press Apply.

yulan

Re: "Ctrl" key problem in laptops
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:06:07 AM »
CTRL keys: not working, just nothing happens or no difference, I even tried to press them and hold 10 sec.
Disable on-screen keyboard: I'm sure this is it, not restarted it yet but that should be it, thank you

Today I have pretty good luck, the "Ctrl" key worked fine for 4 hours, but then it died again, in between there's no special action taken, not launched new application or closed any, just managing photos and text, no plug in anything etc. After "Ctrl" died (or go to sleep) I have to right click and select copy or paste, it's inconvenience (I get used to it already) but not the point, the point is that some task relay only on the "Ctrl" key, such as zoom in or out while cropping in photoshop, oops! Limitation of function of a computer, please someone from Microsoft fix this, please.