Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba L505D-5983 - Windows 10 Keyboard Issues - Synaptics Driver  (Read 2272 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Pretty much calling it quits on this Toshiba L505D-5983 for upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and will install Linux on it instead.

Ran into the worst upgrade ever for Windows 10 and it all comes down to a keyboard/touchpad driver that malfunctions under Windows 10. There is a work around posted online to revert to prior Windows 7 drivers, but this doesnt work on a clean build of Windows 7. Tried to get Windows 10 running to force the Windows 7 driver to work with 10, but the minute Windows 10 boots with keyboard support after POST it starts screaming as if there is a key that is held down. After about a minute of the screaming it them moves on and is quiet but the touchpad and keyboard dont function.

Connected a USB Mouse and cool the mouse works when touchpad is not working, but when connecting a USB keyboard, Windows 10 acts the same with the USB attached keyboard as it does with the keyboard built into the laptop.

Shut it down and removed the SSD and installed the original hard drive back and Windows 7 works fine and the keyboard and touchpad have no issues so the hardware didnt fail in the middle of the SSD and Windows 10 upgrade.

So I am calling it quits on this laptop for upgrading Windows and instead will repurpose it for a Linux Mint build I guess instead. Windows 7 was starting to get laggy on it after the many updates since I bought it almost 10 years ago. I was hoping to have it run better with a SSD and Windows 10. At least I didnt burn a Windows 10 activation yet on this build and was able to find out beforehand that its not going to run Windows 10.

Toshiba support shows a driver for the keyboard/touchpad dated 2016 but the only way to get 10 on this build might be to clone the HDD to the SSD and have it boot as Windows 7 and then upgrade it from there vs clean install of 10 and well this old laptop will probably run much better with SSD and Linux instead.

Posting this here in case anyone decides to upgrade their Toshiba Laptop from an older version of Windows to Windows 10 that the Synaptics driver that Windows 10 tries to implement is completely poison to Windows 10 running properly on a laptop.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Toshiba L505D-5983 - Windows 10 Keyboard Issues - Synaptics Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »
Typo update: Windows 10 not Windows 7

There is a work around posted online to revert to prior Windows 7 drivers, but this doesnt work on a clean build of Windows 7.

Correction to the above is: There is a work around posted online to revert to prior Windows 7 drivers, but this doesnt work on a clean build of Windows 10