Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can anybody help me with a PayPal fraud ?  (Read 10632 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Can anybody help me with a PayPal fraud ?
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »

This is about a charge that PayPal says I  owe but I cannot find any record of it.
The PayPal company does not have any way for me to trace this . I asked for a printed copy and it did not show where the charge came from.

Does anybody understand what I'm talking about?   :'(

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Can anybody help me with a PayPal fraud ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
Where did PayPal say you owe them this money?  Does the transaction actually show up in your PayPal account when you log in or did you just get an email out of the blue?  PayPal is a massive target when it comes to phishing emails, only trust a PayPal transaction that shows up when you log in to your PayPal account and not stuff you get through via email (this also applies to when receiving money through them, only trust that you've received it if you can see it in your account when you log in).

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
There is no record.
I requested a hard copy.
What I got did not identify any such transaction.
It talks like a scam and it walks like a scan.
But it is on my PayPal account and  can not see where it came from.
This has being  going on for a year.
Now the say they will turn it over to collection.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
Thank you for you reply..  :)

Here is a screenshot of what I see when I go to my account with PalPal intheweb site  http://palpal.com using my browser.
(The image is PNG with on four colors to reduce bandwidth but keep detail.)

The phone number they give is not for resolution of a dispute, it is only for making a payment. They do not offer a way to find out where this came from. They just want the money.

Do any body understand this?  It is NOT a dispute of a transaction. There is not any record of a transaction. I do not know where it came from and they will not tell me. They did not provide any detail that would show where this came from.
I think it is a scam from the inside.  >:(

Term_ite

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
    Geek,
    Can you not review all the activity on your account? Your screenshot indicates that this has been owing for approximately 1 year. If you cannot find any transactions that  would match the amount from that time period I would find this request highly suspect. Your account should have a record of all your transactions and payments.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
    As Cameron asked what is the host email addy and/or web address. ? ?...You never answered.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
    The URL in their screenshot appears legitimate.

The overdue amount is from a paypal credit line of credit. At some point you either didn't have enough funds or used Paypal credit to make a purchase. You would want to review the *paypal credit* statement. It won't show up in "Account activity", I expect.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »
    Thank you for suggestions.
    This URL seems to be from Paypal. Yst I can not find the activity directly related to this issue. I am going to review all activity six months back..
    I can bring up an archived of past transactions, but the information is is a short form where  I can not figure out what it means.

I believe this is an inside fraud. From past experience in life, when somebody makes information hared to find or missing, it is an attempt to try and fool me.

On the other hand, my bank has a concise exact statement that shows all that hat I put in and took out and the name of who it was to or from.

The PalPay activity statement does not show me the PaplPayCredit line balance.  And. it does not show payments. I go to the URL given for the Paypal Credit information and the information they provide does not led to a page that shows credit activity They say there is a link I can find. So far I can not find it. I will keep trying.   :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »
    I'm pretty sure that Activity page only shows activity for your Paypal account. Paypal credit is a line of credit and the activity is going to be separated from it and doesn't appear on your main paypal page. A analog could be how credit card activity, even when you have the credit card with with the same bank, won't show it's activity on your chequing account.

It's hard to tell though since I don't have Paypal Credit so have no idea if it would show that balance on the main activity page.

On the left side of your summary page (I believe that is the page you linked) there should be a "Paypal Credit" link. This takes you to the page for your Paypal Credit account. There should be a way to view the statements for the Paypal Credit account from there. (After presumably choosing a billing cycle). That should give you a place to start looking.

Note that you have to explicitly sign up for Paypal Credit. It is a line of credit extended by Synchrony Bank that can be connected to your paypal account (but doesn't have to be). At some point you did explicitly sign up for it. What I would guess may have happened is that some point after that you accidentally bought something using it and then forgot. After 6 months the balance is retroactively billed at 19.999% interest and then compound interest at a minimum charge of 2 dollars every month going forward.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:14:22 PM »
    Thank you BC. :)
    Yes, at one time I did have the credit line. I belie that I had paid it in full. But now, without being able  to find the entrance to the credit account, I can not see where that was confirmed.

Most likely I will have to write a letter to executive at PayPal. The regular account support people have to stick to a script and they have a list of things that can do. My issue is out of the box:-\

There might be a technical error. The software may have read a flag that says I do not have a credit account. In that case I will never see the credit activity unless a supervisor comes and takes a look.

I think I will ha veto check into the users forum on eBay. Maybe they know what this is. It has been a long time since I was in the forum. Not sure if I can find my way in. I think it is down a rabbit hole.  ;)

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »
    Check out this link, direct from the PayPal website, it may help you locate the statements for your PayPal Credit transactions:

Where can I view my PayPal Credit Statements? --> https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3843

But if PayPal claims you owe them money, they have to be able to tell you / show you exactly they say you haven't paid  :-X

Not sure if this is what you've tried already, but just worth a thought. Good Luck Geek.   :)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
    Thanks. That link is what I need.

I try to follow it and the description does not match my screen.
    I can not locate the item they name. I am no good at divination.
    I can not enter the PayPal Credit area. I only get into the area that does not have the PayPal credit.
    I stated a chat with a robot. It could only answer three things. Very bad example of AI. But I will try again in the morning. It is time for bed.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 08:00:39 AM »
    I kink we  found something.
    The search phrase is:
    credit hack inside PayPal reported
    Google found some recent things:
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Fraud-PayPal-Hacked-Unauthorized-Transaction/td-p/1524122
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Someone-hacked-my-account/td-p/1189719
    But you have to sign in to read it
    https://smallbiztrends.com/2014/08/can-paypal-account-be-hacked.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9a455s/need_help_paypal_was_hacked_bank_wont_give_me_my/

Using the Duck (duckduckgo.com)

Why You Shouldn't Bother Signing Up For PayPal Credit
    ...  In short, PayPal Credit is fairly innocuous, but also pretty unnecessary.

The best thing you get out of the line of credit is increased time to pay for larger purchases, but if you can't pay for discretionary items in cash today, you probably shouldn't be buying them.

Signing up also may lead consumers to buy more: TechCrunch reported that PayPal users spend 30% more after signing up for credit. That's not exactly a good thing.
    :'(   :'(