Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overheat Hot CPU  (Read 7181 times)

Erebus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Overheat Hot CPU
    « on: May 17, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »
    Hello all,

New member, first time posting, I thought Hardware would have sub-forums but seems not, must be hard to track anything here

I did a search but that doesn't seem to like my words

Anyway, trying to find out why I'm getting high temperature reading on the CPU using CPUID Monitor

From what I Google it should be down around 65 but it's running at 80 to 90 all the time

I marked on the picture, is this where to read correct?

Anyone suggestions or information welcome, thanks, John

Salmon Trout

Re: Overheat Hot CPU
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:24:32 AM »
    Something is wrong with your cooling. Also, what was your PC actually doing when you read those temps?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
    Last time I saw values like that it was a heatsink applied without thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU. If the heatsink was applied to the top of the CPU and no thermal paste added then that could be why its burning hot.

Other cause if a system that use to be warm running and now blistering hot would be if the heatsink heatpipe failed by leaking out the heat exchanging fluid that flows inside the tube between liquid and vapor states to transfer heat to the heat exchanger fins. In a healthy heatpipe there is a flow of heated fluid as a vapor to the top if the tube and then it condenses when it cools after exchanging the heat and and is wicked back to the bottom to heat to boil off and cool and condense and circulate a heat exchanging process. When the fluid gets out and evaporates then the tube is worthless and the CPU will roast. So you may need to simply buy a new heatsink that is properly rated for the CPU's TDP ( Thermal Design Power ) if the replacement of the thermal paste doesn't fix this.

Info on how heatpipes work here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

If your doing extreme overclocking you would need to invest in a liquid cooling setup vs use of a stock cooler. I have a 4Ghz AMD FX-8350 that runs really warm on its stock cooler and if I was to overclock it to 4.7Ghz etc I'd have to invest in a liquid cooling setup.

With the temperatures your getting though the CPU should thermal throttle to avoid damaging itself, but performance will be lost as the CPU underclocks itself to try to cool itself when too hot.

If this is a laptop then you would need to get a replacement heatsink for that specific model rated for that CPU if replacement of thermal paste doesnt fix the issue. If its a desktop computer you can go with liquid cooling as well as many other options that a laptop doesnt allow.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »
    Those minimum temps are awfully high; 81-88. My i7 4790 with stock cooler will go to 100 Celsius on full load if I let the heatsink get clogged with dust, but it drops back to 60 or so on idle. Clean heatsink and it idles at 38 and goes to around 72 on load. Such high idle temps make me agree with Dave. Check that cooler, and especially the heatsink compound.  Also: CPU fan doesn't vary much.

Erebus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
      Those minimum temps are awfully high; 81-88. My i7 4790 with stock cooler will go to 100 Celsius on full load if I let the heatsink get clogged with dust, but it drops back to 60 or so on idle. Clean heatsink and it idles at 38 and goes to around 72 on load. Such high idle temps make me agree with Dave. Check that cooler, and especially the heatsink compound.  Also: CPU fan doesn't vary much.

Thanks for this and other replies. I'm did a check immediately on morning start up and the results below; I'm thinking this is a sensor or erroneous readings for some reason as they are still high.

Here is what happened, it is a desktop, i7-6700 CPU on ASUS MB, I had previously removed the Corsair 100 CPU cooling radiator and pump maybe almost 2 years ago as the core was blocked. At this time I moved the computer to desktop to be away from floor level. Build up on the core was cat hair and the usual dust.

The other day, after the latest Windows update installed, computer was like glue, so I checked inside, the cooling radiator was partially blocked but not as much as before. Removed it for cleaning, and re-stalled with proper Arctic paste. So this is when I thought I will just check the temperatures to see how they were.

Computer is running fine, very quick actually, so I don't understand the high readings. Is there another program to use, or some connections I should look at? No overclocking, no high end games, not asking anything extra of the CPU, nothing out of the ordinary, just want to use internet as normal people.

Thanks

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
      I hesitated before to suggest SpeedFan, but your reply tells me you know what you are doing.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You have looked in BIOS for "smart fan" type settings?

Does mobo manuf offer fan control utility?

Erebus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
        I had used SpeedFan before but found the settings confusing, same for anything to do with BIOS

I only know stuff to a certain point  ;) and don't mess too much beyond that

I did find Core Temp 1.13 which also gives high readings, so...

I will watch yet another video on applying thermal paste, Gamers Nexus on Youtube was recommended and I see they have several at 20 minutes long...

and then re-check the CPU interface, back later...

Cheers, thanks for the help  8)

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »
        If a thermal sensor is messed up it usually gives a way wrong reading like pegged at cold boot and a temperature that is just about never likely to ever be reached or display 0.

One way of measuring that is not the best, but can give you an idea of if its really running hot is to get one of those IR Temperature guns and point it at the base of the heatsink within close proximity between the gun and the CPU's heatsink base that is closest to the CPU face and see what that measures. I was able to pick up a cheap IR Temperature gun for $15 at Tractor Supply the one day and it shows correct readings. Even pointed it in my mouth to see what my mouth temp was and it said 98F so that was a good way of knowing it was correct to whatever else I was measuring as a baseline test of the device.

Here is one like mine, for just under $16 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Temperature-Functional/dp/B00QYX6F5G

I have used this for all sorts of measuring for computers and other stuff that i want to know where the hot spot of the device is, and just how hot it is. I had a hard drive that i was able to hold the trigger down and wand over the surface looking for the hottest spot on the drive which ended up being a chip on the controller board of the hard drive measuring 132F on a drive that would drop out when warm. I then added thermal compound and a northbridge heatsink that I had from a junked motherboard to wick the heat away passively ( without a fan ) from this chip and keep the hard drive running longer to be able to copy the customers data to a healthy drive.

Erebus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 11:09:00 PM »

If a thermal sensor is messed up it usually gives a way wrong reading like pegged at cold boot and a temperature that is just about never likely to ever be reached or display 0.

Thanks for the help, now forgive my ignorance, is the thermal sensor part of the motherboard or the cooling system?

If it is on the MB, then I could possibly buy a new cooler for $200+ and still get high temperature readings?

That would be messed up, but because you see that the readings are still in range, so the sensors are probably okay?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
          You have 5 thermal sensors in the CPU, one for the case temp and one each for the cores. It is unlikely they are all wrong.

Those Core Temp readings --- 49 to 51 minimum, and 100 C at max, look pretty much like normal temperatures to me, with cooling that is a bit poor, but not downright bad. The idle or minimum is a bit high, but not crazily so. What is that brings the temp from minimum to maximum? (I mean what are you doing to load it to 100%?). Gaming?

The i7 6700K is an unlocked CPU. Are you running it at stock multipliers and voltages?

If it really is getting to 100 C sometimes, the CPU will go into thermal throttling, and the Intel XTU app, (eXtreme Tuning Utility) will tell you if that happens.

Use it with care, just to monitor settings and throttling.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 02:22:54 AM »
          It looks to be throttling in their first screenshot- From what I can find the lowest stock speed of the 6700K is 4.0Ghz and the image shows a current speed of ~2.3Ghz.

I suppose that could be power saving but given the temperature it seems like it is probably thermal throttling to try to prevent itself from basically melting.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:12 AM »
          It looks to be throttling in their first screenshot- From what I can find the lowest stock speed of the 6700K is 4.0Ghz and the image shows a current speed of ~2.3Ghz.

Good spot.

Erebus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »

I suppose that could be power saving but given the temperature it seems like it is probably thermal throttling to try to prevent itself from basically melting.

You are probably correct sir, thanks you

PROBLEM SOLVED

Took the water cooler to the store that built the computer, bought a new Corsair 100i Platinum, all good now

They will assess that cooler and give me replacement, then I can eBay one for them just not putting it in the shop for a week or more

Big difference, so quiet in here, fans were full on all the time before

BIG THANKS to ALL that responded, much appreciated, John  :)

mopakarim

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
              You are probably correct sir, thanks you

PROBLEM SOLVED

Took the water cooler to the store that built the computer, bought a new Corsair 100i Platinum, all good now

They will assess that cooler and give me replacement, then I can eBay one for them just not putting it in the shop for a week or more

Big difference, so quiet in here, fans were full on all the time before

BIG THANKS to ALL that responded, much appreciated, John  :)

Something is wrong with your cooling. Also, what was your PC actually doing when you read those temps?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
              Pay Attention...he stated the issue was solved...weeks ago.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "