Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Latest windows 10 software doesn't support video playback  (Read 3565 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Latest windows 10 software doesn't support video playback
    « on: May 20, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
    I had purchased a new laptop recently and a new PC about a year ago. Both have the latest Windows 10 and neither will play some DVDs I had recorded. I'm having to send back the laptop because the manual button won't open the drive. HP support was fine with that and while I was at it, I thought I'd better check out the DVD drive itself. The problem is as a lot of you already know is that Windows 10 did away with Windows media player. I downloaded VLC and what I thought was a Windows 10 media player software to find out it was not any better. The player on both the laptop and PC will not play the DVD I recorded on a Liteon recorder. It was on a DVD-RW and thought some of you might know of a free media player software I could download that might work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Latest windows 10 software doesn't support video playback
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
    Most free Media Players work on most systems. If that were not so, there would be a lot of information about how the do not work.
     Have yu done a search on the topic?
    Try this key phrase:
    why some DVD drives do not work
    Here are just three:
        From Yahoo Answers
        As advised this is most likely a hardware issue. How much use has the drive had with being used as a burner/creating cd's/dvd's? The more a drive is used to burn discs the shorter its life will be, The laser inside of the drive has a limited life. With the drive not responding at all there is a good chance that the drive or the controller for the drive has been damaged or shorted. On... Full answer
    answers.yahoo.com
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/my-cd-drive-d-doesnt-work/e51a7216-6671-4b97-aadf-5c3701ddc927
    From Dell:
    https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/Why-won-t-some-DVDs-play-in-my-computer-s-DVD-drive/td-p/3984895
    Bu  in any case, the OEM, not the user,ought to trouble shoot the problem.  ;)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
      I think you all have mistaken me, my laptop and PC will not play a DVD-RW from another source (liteon). Is there any software out there that can help me?

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
        BTW Geek, I always do the google thing before I ask for help. I downloaded VLC and another DVD software for Windows 10 and neither helped. I'll find the answer eventually because I never give up. In answer to how many hours the DVD players have been used is less than 1 on either.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
        If VLC wouldnt play them chances are the DVD files were not recorded correct or are corrupt...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
        We need to know where your live. Not the exact address, but the region.
        In some places in the world, any DVD disc would be  recorded for a different standard. You need to eliminate that as being the issue.

About R/W disc recordings.  This can vary  a lot.  A R/E dis is a very poor test for may system. A perfectly good DVD player might read a DVDS made yesterday, but not one made today.

What you need is a couple of brand new high quality DVD replacement drives for your machine.  There has been a few instances when a OEM got a bunch to really bad DVD mechanisms.  My guess is that a trend new DVD player will work fine on a disc mastered by a professional source. (A Sony pictures DVD movie.)

I have made lots of DIY copies of downloaded movies with near 20 per cent either failing or working poorly. Others have had similar results. It is the cheap hardware.

For a scientifically valid study , , you need about 25  players and 100 professional DVD movies. Expect the good drives to play 98 out of 100 DVDs. Did you do that?
        Reference:
        https://www.lifewire.com/best-sata-dvd-burners-832424

This article implies tact there are some bad stuff out there and the user needs to stick with brand s that have  got good reviews.  :)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
          I've downloaded 3 including VLC again and they all play the DVD I've got in but it's 3/4 screen. I've got to download them on the laptop to see if it works. I've got to send the laptop back because the manual DVD eject button isn't working, so I need to see if the DVD player even works. I doubt if I ever use the laptop DVD player but if It's included, it needs to work. Why Windows 10 did away with its media player was just pure greed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
          Here is a Microsoft link that has been updated:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15067
          This indicates the Windows Media Player 12 download wit work with a DVD.
          Note

If you start to play a DVD or VCD in the Player Library, the Player automatically switches to Now Playing mode.

The Blu-ray Disc format is not supported in Windows Media Player. To play a Blu-ray Disc, you need to use a non-Microsoft program that supports Blu-ray playback and a device capable of reading Blu-ray Discs.

If you previously selected Rip CD automatically on the Rip Music tab in the Options dialog box or on the Rip settings menu, a CD will immediately begin ripping after you insert it into the drive.

But you have to look around to find the version 12  download.  :o
          https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-install-windows-media-player-12-windows-10/

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
            Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
              I don't know how I lucked into this but it works like a champ and in full screen as well. I don't know if it was by accident or piggy backed with something else. It's a leawo blu-ray player. I put one of my liteon DVDs in and it gave me three choices of what to use to play it, the 3rd one was the leawo. I'm totally amazed.

https://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/