Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp netflix  (Read 103624 times)

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Expert
windows xp netflix
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:23:43 AM »
I have an old reliable 32 bit Gateway GT5235E with 4 GB DDR2 Ram running WinXP Pro and was wondering if there is any way to get Netflix to work. I've tries Chrome, IE , Firefox and Opera but all want to run updates that my pc can take. Is there some secert Browser I haven't heard of?

Thanks
John

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: windows xp netflix
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
Yes, but you must have a version of  Silverlight  that works with XP.
And the XP has to be up to date.

Then, you have to  get a version of Sea Monkey that runs of XP.

Anyway,  that works for me.

But why no just get a legal copy of Windows 10?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
Netflix won't run on XP
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
But why no just get a legal copy of Windows 10?

Just a heads up that Windows 10 can be installed on that computer and when asked for a key there is an option to state that you do not have a key. Windows 10 will install and you can then see if Windows 10 is a good match for your hardware which it should be given your system has 4GB DDR2. Then at a later point you can pay to register it if Windows 10 runs at a good pace on that system vs paying money now to upgrade to 10 and then find out that its not a good pairing for your processing needs and speed.

Looking up your computer specs I found this for your model which might be a match:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00 GHz)
1 GB DDR2
200 GB HDD
Windows XP Media Center
No Screen
NVIDIA GeForce 6100

That CPU can run Windows 10 64-bit and make full use of the 4GB RAM. Unless your XP is 64 bit you have only been using 3GB of 4GB.

Only area of concern for this computer is the GPU, if your using the integrated  Geforce 6100 that is a very weak GPU in todays terms. My daughter was watching Netflix and Hulu for a while on a Geforce 6200 AGP 256MB and there was some lag. If you add a low cost video card to this system like a Radeon HD5450 1GB Video card for around $25 it will play Netflix without any problems. My daughters computer is a Athlon64 X2 4450B 2.3Ghz and it has a Radeon HD 5450 PCI Express 1GB Video Card.

If you already upgraded the GPU and not running integrated video, then you might be fine with the card you have. My wife about 6 months ago was using netflix on a Geforce 9800GT 512MB Video Card and it was fine for watching Netflix, Hulu, and Crackle.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
DaveLembke,
That is a great idea!
A user can use Windows 10 for a trail period before really getting  a product key.
During that time he can watch some Netflix. If he does not get the product key and activate windows, it will limit more usage. I think it has a 30 day limit.

This is legal if the user eventually gets Windows registered.  One can buy just the product key under $35  for a few vendors, but you take a chance that it might not be legit. Here's a recent post on another forum that explains this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html
Read it over carefully.  ;D

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
OK, this is my spare computer in my Woodworking Shop. My main computer is in the house with no issues. This computer dual boots with an older version of Ubuntu and I like the way it's set up for my shop. I tried to update Silverlight but it won't take. I tried Win 10 once on my main computer but I really didn't like it. I'm one of the one's that will probably go to my grave still using XP & Linux on this thing. I use to have a TV setup in here but needed the real estate for tools. I don't use the embedded GPU, I use a GeForce 8400 that works good enough for what I do. I was just trying to get it to work and all the you tube video's out there that i've seen so far have not worked. I'll keep checking this thread if anyone comes up with something I would really appreciate it. Thanks to all.

John

[email protected]

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:01:17 AM »
    This week Netflix stopped working on my Windows XP computers.  XP SP3 the most current version of Windows that still supports important legacy software that I use as an artist, so an upgrade to Windows 10 won't happen.  I have several other PCs on W10 that are fine, but would still like to stream Netflix on my art boxes.  I have tried Chrome, Firefox and IE.  All have issues.  In Chrome, Netflix tells me it is incompatible and I need to upgrade.  Firefox gets DRM compatibility errors, and IE8 won't even load the style sheet to format the Netflix UI.  I am flexible regarding the browser and player.  Any suggestions?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 02:55:59 AM »
    1. Don't make your user name the same as your email address (you are inviting a blizzard of spam, if not worse!)

2. Start your own topic.