Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't execute hotlinks in Outlook Express email  (Read 2761 times)

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Can't execute hotlinks in Outlook Express email
    « on: January 13, 2006, 04:29:59 PM »
    I have been using OE without a problem. Recently, if I receive a hotlink imbedded in a email and click it, IE doesn't open. If I right click the hotlink and "copy Shortcut" then paste it in IE address bar I can open the website. I run AdAware/Spybot/AVG religiously. The only change was I ran "Window Registry Repair pro" and cleaned up several problems. Since I thought that was the problem, I restored the backup and the problem still exists. I am running 98SE on a desktop.
    Cojack

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Can't execute hotlinks in Outlook Express emai
      « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:14:42 AM »
      A IE window doesn't open. When I click the hotlink, my HD sounds like it is looking for info to open a window but it never does. I thought it was opening IE in the background but that wasn't true. If I paste the hotlink into my address bar in IE it works but I have to open IE window manually.
      Cojack

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:42:38 AM »

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 11:49:16 AM »
        I ran the procedure at the MS site (regsvr32 *****.dll) and they all worked except shell32.dll When I executed that file, I received the following error:

Shell32.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

DllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of shell32.dll may be in memory. Consider using Pview to detect or remove it.

I don't know how to use Pview??? I have another computer with XP on it. If I copy that shell32.dll file and add it to this computer that is running 98SE will it work?
        Cojack

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 05:30:04 PM »
        I can't imagine why it would. Different operating systems, and that is one the things that make them different.