Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't install Windows 8.1 from Windows 10  (Read 140370 times)

Trains

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't install Windows 8.1 from Windows 10
    « on: April 09, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
    Hey! Sorry for my bad English in advance. :)
    So, I have a laptop. It had win 8.1 for years, it was stable and fast, everything fine. Then my dad decided that we should upgrade it to win 10. Problem is, my laptop can't handle win 10 very well. As I see it, 4 GB RAM is not enough. So I decided to install Win 8.1 back. The smartass I am, I've thought: "yes, I can do it myself, no matter that I have never done it before. YouTube tutorials will help."
    So I bought a win 8.1 online with key (reliable source, my win 10 is from here too), downloaded the file (4 GB), and watched a Ton of YouTube tutorials. I followed one step by step, and it went like this: burn the files for another virtual drive, run the setup file, go through the steps (agreements, language choice, etc), then wait and its done! Yeah, no. I've got this "compatibility report" message. For... 5 times?
    I tried to search for YouTube tutorials for this one specific problem, and one of them said that I should change the setup file's compatibility to win 8, and try to run it like that. I did, and to my surprise, it worked! Well, not so much, but my computer started to count the percentage of the installation process, it switched off and back a few times, I was so proud of myself, but then... Nothing. The computer started on win10, nothing has changed.
    So, I tried the USB solution. I formated an USB to NTFL, copied the files on it, restarted the computer, went to the console panel, hit the "install from USB drive" button (or something like this, I don't know the exact words in English, as you  may have noticed, I'm trying to explain everything),  installation window pops up, agreements, language, key, installation mode, everything went just fine. Then I got the "installation media" message. It said that I should remove the USB, restart the computer. Nothing has changed. I tried again, with the other installation option (clearing off everything from the computer), but it didn't work as well. Again, just the "installation media" message.
    I'm a Little desperate right know, I've tried everything as I found on YouTube and various IT forums, but nothing has worked so far. I don't mind if my whole computer resets itself, I just want to finish the installation. Any suggestions? I don't know, what can be the problem, but I can provide every little detail if needed. Thanks :)
    (And sorry for my bad English again. I've tried my best.)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can't install Windows 8.1 from Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
    Likely the best method would be wiping the HDD and doing a clean install from the USB...

Best Tutorials Out There...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gorge441

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 01:31:29 AM »
    Hey! Sorry for my bad English in advance. :)
    So, I have a laptop. It had win 8.1 for years, it was stable and fast, everything fine. Then my dad decided that we should upgrade it to win 10. Problem is, my laptop can't handle win 10 very well. As I see it, 4 GB RAM is not enough. So I decided to install Win 8.1 back. The smartass I am, I've thought: "yes, I can do it myself, no matter that I have never done it before. YouTube tutorials will help."
    So I bought a win 8.1 online with key (reliable source, my win 10 is from here too), downloaded the file (4 GB), and watched a Ton of YouTube tutorials. I followed one step by step, and it went like this: burn the files for another virtual drive, run the setup file, go through the steps (agreements, language choice, etc), then wait and its done! Yeah, no. I've got this "compatibility report" message. For... 5 times?
    I tried to search for YouTube tutorials for this one specific problem, and one of them said that I should change the setup file's compatibility to win 8, and try to run it like that. I did, and to my surprise, it worked! Well, not so much, but my computer started to count the percentage of the installation process, it switched off and back a few times, I was so proud of myself, but then... Nothing. The computer started on win10, nothing has changed.
    So, I tried the USB solution. I formated an USB to NTFL, copied the files on it, restarted the computer, went to the console panel, hit the "install from USB drive" button (or something like this, I don't know the exact words in English, as you  may have noticed, I'm trying to explain everything),  installation window pops up, agreements, language, key, installation mode, everything went just fine. Then I got the "installation media" message. It said that I should remove the USB, restart the computer. Nothing has changed. I tried again, with the other installation option (clearing off everything from the computer), but it didn't work as well. Again, just the "installation media" message.
    I'm a Little desperate right know, I've tried everything as I found on YouTube and various IT forums, but nothing has worked so far. I don't mind if my whole computer resets itself, I just want to finish the installation. Any suggestions? I don't know, what can be the problem, but I can provide every little detail if needed. Thanks :)
    (And sorry for my bad English again. I've tried my best.)
    Which format did you use previously UEFI or MBR?
    Have you any windows 8.1 option in your BIOS?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:28:45 AM »
    Which format did you use previously UEFI or MBR?
    Have you any windows 8.1 option in your BIOS?

What are you talking about?

gorge441

Rookie
    « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
    What are you talking about?
    I am talking about the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface and ths Master Boot Record.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
    I meant asking about a Windows 8.1 option in bios - what are you asking???
    Also, you don't format using UEFI. If the bios is using UEFI, you format with a GUID (GPT) partition table / file system.

gorge441

Rookie
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »
    Sorry, this is my bad. I want to ask that did he use windows 8.1 previously before windows 10.
    As he said in his post that he used windows 8.1 a year then obviously he has an option to roll back. If he did not break full partition while setup using windows 10.
    Please @Allan let me know i want to clear about this

Thanks
    George.
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:22:35 AM by gorge441 »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
    You cannot roll back to 8.1 from Win 10 any longer...he needs to see my Link above.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gorge441

Rookie
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 09:04:15 AM »
    You cannot roll back to 8.1 from Win 10 any longer...he needs to see my Link above.
    Noted with thanks.

OliverYY

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
      could it be the drivers that are on the disc are out of date, could Installing it from a USB stick work?
      you can live once