Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux OS for a new user  (Read 12334 times)

bkdroid13

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Linux OS for a new user
    « on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:06 AM »
    Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
    I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?
    Will Linux be faster than Winodows 10?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Linux OS for a new user
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
    Before thinking about removing Windows 10 and loading Linux make a recovery flash drive to reload windows.

Then check someone else has been able to get Linux running on the same hardware as you have. Google search of model or main parts.

Most Linux variants can run from DVD or flash drive without installing so you can test before you install.

Generally Linux doesn't run faster than windows on the same hardware. Especially now when most hardware design is  to run Windows 10. There are exceptions.

"Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?" Not really, if you are happy with the software offered less difficult than some versions of windows. The internet has plenty of info and it is a great to have an OS which you can really get into and make your own. The only problem with Linux I think is there is to much choice. And what is current and the "best" this year will be surpassed next year or month. Buy some 32 gb Pen drives Apacer seem ok and are cheap  . Disconnect, if you can your windows 10 drive. And try some versions have fun once you decide on a version then install it. Remember  make the windows 10 recovery flash drive just in case.

Some to try
    Opensuse tumbleweed,
    Linux mint,
    Ubuntu with the Cinnamon Desktop,
    Robolinux,  if you want to run windows programs the Linux is free but you pay for the Virtual machine software to run windows.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Linux OS for a new user
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
    + 1 ^^^
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bkdroid13

Topic Starter