Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless connection problem  (Read 3688 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Wireless connection problem
    « on: June 05, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
    I recently purchased a new laptop, it sees the router I have (Linksys) and connects but has no internet available. Just for the heck of it, I tried one of my PCs and it does the same thing. I can't seem to find out why they won't as my cell phone and Echo-Dot (Alexa) will connect to the Linksys. I had problems before getting my laptop to connect using an ethernet cable but that's OK now.

I've had both home computers hardwired to my router and had never tried using their wireless capabilities. I would almost bet that the computer I'm on now won't connect wireless either but haven't tried yet. I've got windows 10 on all of the computers and my router is a Linksys WRT110. I hate resetting my modem and router which I have in the past because it causes me to have to reprogram my Echo Dot (Alexa) which can be temperamental to set up. I have updated all drivers BTW.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: Wireless connection problem
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
      Well, I finally got both PCs to connect wireless, hopefully, the laptop will too. All I did was reposition the router and turned on the wifi and manually connected them. It's about time I had a bit of luck.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        Re: Wireless connection problem
        « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:18:00 AM »
        I got my laptop to connect wireless BTW. To be more clear on how I did this for those viewing, I went to the control panel, clicked on network and internet. On network and sharing, I clicked on view your basic network information and set up connections, to the left of the page I selected change adapter settings. After that, all I had to do was disable the ethernet and enable the wireless network and click connect. After doing that, a popup appears showing the wireless network to connect to. No wonder no one answered my posts, if I was too dumb to figure this out I had no reason to own a computer in the first place.