Internet & Networking > Networking

WiFi Connection Getting Worse Over Time (2-4 days)

(1/1)

0in1:
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a custom-made computer from a well established business in the UK.

The computer arrived and as I was installing everything onto it, the internet dropped out a few times. I thought nothing of it and continued. After a day or two, the dropping out happened more and more until after about 4-6 days, it become unusable.

I contacted the business, and they sent out a new network card. Whilst I was waiting for this to arrive, I tried using a USB adaptor instead of the installed card. This worked fine, until again, after 2 days or so, it started having the same issues and then stopped working completely after a similar amount of time.

The new network card has now arrived and after 2 days, the errors seem to start to be happening again. It has dropped out 3 times now and looks as though to be getting more frequent like before.

I have tried numerous attempts to fix the errors - resetting the adaptor, reinstalling the adaptor, pausing anti-virus, and all the other methods I could find online - but none have made any difference. Using the troubleshooter works okay for the first few times, but as the issue gets worse, it becomes less and less effective. The errors it reports change but most often it is related to a gateway not being available, or there being some form of IP issue.

Perhaps worth noting is that I use my phone as a hotspot as the internet signal is terrible where I have the computer. However, I've tested it, and it works absolutely fine with other devices and whilst the issues are happening on the computer, everything else runs fine. The computer is the only thing to run off the hotspot normally, and the phone has full signal.

In terms of what happens with the computer when the error is happening - the webpage refuses to load, shows no connection, and after a few moments the little yellow triangle appears over the WiFi signal. For the first few days, it will reconnect after troubleshooting, however as time goes on, it refuses to reconnect and just sits there trying.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

The basic computer specs are as follows:
Windows 10 PRO
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
16GB RAM

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Allan:
Well I'm not a network expert, but while we wait for one to respond let me say this: It does not sound like a computer problem, but rather a signal problem. I read everything you said and do understand that it's only the computer that exhibits the issue, but there really isn't much involved with a WiFi connection that is computer based beyond the adapter. And since you've tried both a usb adapter and an internal card, in my mind that rules out the computer.  I'm guessing you don't have an Ethernet connection you can test it with, only WiFi?

Again, that's just my opinion - there are much more knowledgeable network folks whom I'm sure will jump in. Just didn't want your post to go unanswered for too long.

Lisa_maree:
Hi

As you are using a cellphone as a hotspot can you give us the model of phone. Also are you sure your phone service provider allows hot spotting?

Things to check on the phone.
There is at lest 2 gb free memory if not you will need to keep clearing the phones cache like every few days.
Make sure the phone hotspot is has only ipv4 not ipv6 selected.
Also check your wifi settings, timeout and if there is the option to never turn off then select it and keep wifi on during sleep needs to be selected.

Also you can use the phone as a hotspot thru usb and not use the wireless if you can get a good data signal where your computer is.

0in1:
Hi,

Unfortunately, my computer is in an outbuilding of my house that has no network connections. I'm trying to test all possible options before taking everything back into the house. We also have a limited broadband connection which doesn't help matters!

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10. I used it loads and in exactly the same fashion with an older laptop before my computer came and had no troubles whatsoever. It seems to be limited to this computer for some reason.. There is plenty of space on the phone, although I'm not sure about the ipv4/6 thing - I don't see an option for it?

Do you think it could it be a hardware issue of the computer itself?

Thanks for all your help,

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version