Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Samsung SSD 128GB Drive running out of space  (Read 3768 times)

Kendo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Samsung SSD 128GB Drive running out of space
    « on: June 23, 2019, 01:38:59 AM »
    I have two samsung SSD drives.

The 128 GB SSD drive,was for the system files, \:C only but is now showing running out of disk space.

I also have a samsung 1TB SSD drive \:E which is less than a quarter full.

Is it possible to move stuff from \:C to \:E

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Samsung SSD 128GB Drive running out of space
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »
    Yes, but it depends on what you want to move.  You can move things that are currently in your user folders (documents, pictures, downloads, Music) to the E: drive without issue but installed programs cannot be moved.  You could uninstall them one at a time and then re-install them on the E: drive.

In the future, when saving docs or pictures or whatever, save them to the E: drive.  When installing programs, use custom install and install to the E: drive instead of the C: drive.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »
    HI Kendo

Yes it is possible to do with Windows disk tools but easier with 3 rd party disk tools.

There is 2 ways which come to mind depending on the importance of the files on the 1 TB.
    I would backup the files on the 1 TB to somewhere else like a usb hard drive. Then image the 120gb to the the 1 tb with say a partition size of 500gb.  Disconnect the 120 gb and check the 1 tb boots if it does then copy the backed up data to the other 500gb partition.
    If the data isn't critical on the 1 TB then you may try resizing the  partition to the end of the 1tb freeing up space at the beginning to image the 120gb to.
    One program which will do this is     https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Kendo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:09:24 AM »
      Thank you both very much for your help.

I will try both your replies.