Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloading PDF  (Read 3511 times)

indiadream

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Downloading PDF
    « on: July 12, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
    We have a problem with downloading PDF's on Chrome with Windows 10. On my wife's Acer computer there is no problem downloading a PDF which ends up in the Download folder as expected. But the title of the file has a big E and when we open it, instead of opening as a PDF offline it opens on Internet Explorer. My own Acer computer PDF download works fine with the same conditions. i don't know what to do with hers so that we can save a PDF and use it offline from the download folder as expected.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Downloading PDF
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
    I would install Acrobat Reader Chrome Extension from Adobe on the computer having the issue. Then file association should default then to Adobe Acrobat Reader as the handler for PDF files. Best of all the Reader is FREE. Note: I would uncheck the optional offers of McAfee software that they try to bundle with the reader.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=8JD95JPQ&mv=other

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:23:15 PM »
    Can do what DaveLembke suggested.

However, if you already have a pdf reader that you like already installed on your computer, you just have to set pdf files to open with that specific pdf reader software by default (internet explorer seems to be current default, need to change to open with other program by default!)

If you need help doing setting a specific your favorite pdf reader software as default, following the instructions on following link will get the job done: https://www.howtogeek.com/237512/how-to-change-the-default-pdf-reader-in-windows-10/

(Link is for windows 10 but older windows should be similar, if you're using windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 for example)

rosbert

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »
      I agree with 2x3i5x. It should solve your problem.
      i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 32GB ram | atturo

indiadream

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
        Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It was just what I needed to get this irritating problem fixed.