Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't start-disk drive light on  (Read 2569 times)

iosman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
computer won't start-disk drive light on
« on: June 28, 2019, 11:13:10 PM »
I come home from a camping trip today only to find my computer completely turned off. i left it on over night but today it was all off including the power strip. this leads me to believe someone in my family was on it.

no big deal. i start to boot it up again but i can't get anything to work. the monitor doesn't get a signal from the computer (light on moni = amber) and it doesnt sound like my system is posting at all. upon further investigation i see that my cd-rw light is always on green.

there weren't any lightning strikes last night in my area and my computer has been fine being kept on over night before.  mobo light stays on and all power is fed properly.  what i think is causing the hanging is related to the CDRW light staying on constantly.

it is my understanding that this could be the tell-tale sign of my problem but what do you think? what does a constant light on the disk drive mean? any fixes?

thanks
iosman

6_stringbassman

Re: computer won't start-disk drive light on
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
    Hello iosman. Can you give a bit more info concerning your computer please. Is it perhaps a self built computer or purchased such as an HP, Dell, etc.? A model number would be helpful along with the manufacturer.

My first thought is a possible power supply problem but we can know much we need to know more about the computer. Thanks

Looking forward to possibly help you solve your problem.

Glen

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:10:04 PM »
    Power down...disconnect the CD drive and power up...
    Betcha a Pint it boots proper.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

[email protected]

Greenhorn
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
      I come home from a camping trip today only to find my computer completely turned off. i left it on over night but today it was all off including the power strip. this leads me to believe someone in my family was on it.

no big deal. i start to boot it up again but i can't get anything to work. the monitor doesn't get a signal from the computer (light on moni = amber) and it doesnt sound like my system is posting at all. upon further investigation i see that my cd-rw light is always on green.

there weren't any lightning strikes last night in my area and my computer has been fine being kept on over night before.  mobo light stays on and all power is fed properly.  what i think is causing the hanging is related to the CDRW light staying on constantly.

it is my understanding that this could be the tell-tale sign of my problem but what do you think? what does a constant light on the disk drive mean? any fixes?

thanks
      iosman

Check all your connections. Also strip it down to one stick of RAM, a power supply
      and the CPU. Trouble shoot from there. Try to boot from a USB or ROM
      X1 turns ON, K10 to VAR1 (device: D0).

iosman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »

thanks
      iosman

thanks my issue has been fixed.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
      Would you like to share the cause & cure with the rest of the class?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
       8)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "