Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop w/ low GPU usage in games, but not benchmarks - manufacturer is no help  (Read 2855 times)

Clout Man

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar

Hey guys,

I got a laptop a few months ago - an Eluktronics MECH-17 G1R. I'm getting heavily fluctuating GPU usage in intensive games, going from 50% to 97%, which results in fluctuating FPS. CPU usage seems to fluctuate too, in the 20%-80% area, although FPS seems to correlate more with GPU usage than CPU usage. Generally, both of them are well below 100. For example, at any given time the CPU might be staying at 30% while GPU is staying at 70%. Yes, I turn Vsync and framelock off in every game. GPU temp stays at 60 to 75c while gaming, CPU at 70 to 80c. I use a cooling pad.

In Unigine Superposition and Heaven benchmarks, GPU stays at ~97%, CPU in low 10s. UserBenchmark doesn't show anything wrong either.

I had a pretty long correspondence with Eluktronics about this. Eventually they asked me to send the laptop to them and I did. I have it back now and they said they updated the BIOS and EC and adjusted the settings on Battlefield 5, but I think that's it. The problem still remains. I don't really think they understood there was a problem in the first place. In their own words, "The GPU utilizing 80 % is a good thing this means it is handling the game while only using 80%" . I don't think that's true unless there is a frame cap, which there is not.

Games I have tested and have this problem with:
    Battlefield 5
    Far Cry 5 and New Dawn
    XCom 2
    Fallout 4

I have used a variety of different GPU driver versions, done a full system reset several times, uninstalled drivers with DDU and reinstalled, and played with power settings. Nothing has worked.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070, with Intel UHD Graphics 630 integrated graphics
    RAM: ADATA 16 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
    Motherboard: Mech-17 G1Rx, Coffee Lake Chipset
    SSD: 512GB ADATA SX8200PNP

------

Also, I noticed some weird things when I first got the computer which may or may not be important:

First, there was already a windows account on the computer, called Admin. The computer was already logged into it.

Second, there was a program open, a very small window with maybe two lines of text. I don't remember what it was called (win-something?), but when I googled it I think it was for developers or manufacturers to test or set up Windows 10. I clicked a button on the window (dumb idea) and then the computer restarted and let me set up Windows normally.

Third, I ordered a computer with a RTX 2060, but it came with an RTX 2070. I didn't mention this to the manufacturer because I figured this was a good thing.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Looking this laptop up online I found some overheat conditions people complained about and one person stated the following:

-If you can keep the temperatures under control gaming is fantastic on this thing

Cons: -This thing with stock settings will overheat on you; it's not necessarily Eluktronics' fault but instead it is Intel's 8750h design. I strongly recommend getting a program called Throttlestop (please do adequate research if you decide to set this up) to help bring down temperatures

Got this info from here: https://www.newegg.com/black-eluktronics-eluktro-pro-x-mech-17-g1r-gaming-entertainment/p/2WC-000M-00140?reviews=all