Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 15-r132wm Laptop woes  (Read 2266 times)

6_stringbassman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    15-r132wm Laptop woes
    « on: June 29, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »
    Hello All. I've been working on computers both desktop and laptops for 20+ years with great success but the aforementioned laptop has me stumped big time. That's why I'm here looking for help. Along with that perhaps I can help someone else too.

I'm not going to include any specs since I don't see how they would be related to this but I will supply if needed.

My problem is this....I was to replace the keyboard and if you've ever worked on one of these beasts you pretty much have to take it all apart to do so. In the process of that dis-assembly I unfortunately tore the little ribbon cable off of the on/off switch board. Bummer but no biggie right. I purchased a new one from ebay (all the numbers on it match the old one 100%) I plug it in to the connector, close the little clasp that holds it in place and NO JOY! It does not come on even though I have power to the laptop.

Long story short, I momentary shorted out 2 of the connections on the mobo side of the connector (just like you can on a desktop mobo) and the laptop comes on and works fine.

Bad switch assembly perhaps?  Nope, a 2nd purchase does not power it up. Bad connector? I purchased a replacement mobo and same exact problem, will not power up from the switch but the momentary short across the mobo side of the connector turns the computer on.

Now I'm pulling my hair! Any thoughts, etc. etc. will be appreciated.

Glen (da_bassman)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 15-r132wm Laptop woes
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
    Are you sure the ribbon is inserted the correct way with contacts on the correct side? You can insert a ribbon wrong and nothing will happen. Try inserting ribbon the other way and it might fix your issue. One side has contacts and other side is just plastic backing!

If this isnt the issue then continue reading further...

Given that a short to the 2 pins boots it, its obviously the microbutton switch assy, given a motherboard replacement would have swapped the ribbon lock connection contacts.

If your able to take a multimeter and set it to continuity with a tone. Touch leads together and you should get a tone. Next hold carefully without damaging the test leads to the contacts of this ribbon disconnected from the main board and have someone press the button switch and if you don't get a tone then the issue is these replacement part are defective as a tone should be heard when momentary microbutton is pressed in.

If unable to find a good source for these replacements, if your skilled at soldering small connections, you could run wire wrap wire to the leads on the motherboard to the 2 contacts of the microbutton switch and as long as the momentary microbutton is good it will fix the issue. You may need to run 2 or 3 more wires if the push button has a LED that lights that is single-color or bi-color, and polarity would be needed to be known if you need to run those connections as well as for wrong connections with LEDs = LED wont light or LED will light with the wrong color if wired wrong pair on a bi-color Amber/Green etc. * Additionally there is a 2 lead type of bicolor LED as well that can show wrong color if wired backwards ... Bicolor LEDs are usually a white or clear color body to them and if unsure the troubleshooting guide for your laptop would be a good place to look as for it will state amber for a fault condition or a mode condition and possibly green or white illumination if powered on ready to run.

Here is the wire wrap wire that I use for running new connections for situations like what you have with very low current connection repairs.
    https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/adafruit-industries-llc/1446/1528-2005-ND/6827138&?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgNrb6bjJ4wIVRsDICh3o9gCPEAQYASABEgL-UvD_BwE