Internet & Networking > Networking

After getting a new modem my PC can't connect to the internet

(1/1)

metheflew:
Hello,

This is my first post on this web page, please go easy on me  ;D I am very desperate as a life long internet addict i am having major withdrawal symptoms from not having internet on my PC... plus my arm is in a cast now and i don't have anything else in my life but the internet. PLEASE HELP  :'(

This is were my trouble began. My old modem died and i got a new one. After installing a new modem only one PC is having an issue connecting to the internet. My phone and laptop are working fine. When i turn on my PC i can use the browse for a couple of seconds and after that i lose all internet not just on the browser but for any other app. In my amateur opinion there is some program or setting that is blocking my internet.

I started looking up guides online and so far none of them worked. My PC is connected to the internet via WI-FI and running Windows 10. Here are some of the errors i have encountered. I am unable to run "ipconfig /renew" command in command prompt. The error i am getting is "unable to contact your DHCP server". I tried looking up solutions on fixing this problem but i got no where. I tried uncheking TCP/UPv6, but no go. Also TCP/UPv4 is set to automatically obtain IP and DNS.

After several hours of troubleshooting i disabled my antivirus Avast and that seemed to fix the issue. I had internet all day but then the next day internet connection got lost again. I uninstalled Avast thinking that will solve my problems but no go.

If you need more information I will provide it, as i am unsure of what else to write for this topic.

Kind regards,
Dusan

Lisa_maree:
Hi Dusan
You don't say what modem you have now. Also what the wireless adapter is in the PC?
Was there a reason for replacing the modem ?
If you mean your PC is wireless to the modem how strong is the wireless signal at the PC ?
Can you try try using a network cable as a test.  If the modem has a single ethernet port which normally is colored blue then the computer should NOT be plugged into there. You should use the ethernet ports normally there is 4. the blue port is a WAN connection using it want harm the computer but is unlikely to work.

2x3i5x:
Just a thought:

- After you've confirmed your internet connection setup should be installed the way it's supposed to, how well does the internet work in safe mode?

- If you need help getting to safe mode, see the following link and choose the option with networking to allow internet to work:  https://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

- Generally, safe mode is diagnostic mode, with typically the bare minimum startup items/drivers that windows need to just do its thing so you can try to track down what's wrong, but if internet is perfectly fine in safe mode then there's a start.

Good luck, hope your arm gets better soon  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version