Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extending Wi-Fi Range - Setting Up Mesh Network?  (Read 4788 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Extending Wi-Fi Range - Setting Up Mesh Network?
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Before I get to my post - here's a fun fact. I knew I'd posted a while back about improving the speed/access inmy old house. I thought I'd take a look-see in case there was any advice that was usable - and realized I posted it almost exactly ten years ago. I bet technology has changed a bit!

Dear Internet:

I live in a smallish apartment, but with lots of interference. My cable modem/wireless router is centrally located and gives decent coverage to all rooms. (But it's ancient - I bought it nearly three years ago!!!!!)

The interference is messing with my Sonos Connect, which is at the far end of the apartment. I'd like to move my modem/router to that end and plug a CAT5 directly into the Connect; I believe that will fix that problem.

But I'm worried that my wi-fi signal will be too weak at the other end of the apartment - where I stream teevee.

If I just buy the latest and greatest in new wireless modem router technology, do you think that will do the trick?

Or do I need something more? I used those Powerline adapters ten years ago (I don't remember what brand, I think Linksys). I hear setting up a "mesh network" is the bee's knees.

Knowing that there will be follow-up questions...

What Does Anyone Recommend?

Love,

Bob
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Extending Wi-Fi Range - Setting Up Mesh Network?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
Have you explored the option of selecting a different wireless channel for your router? That may reduce interference problems with other devices, eliminating the need to move anything?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Yeah I've played around a bit - particularly with the channels for Sonos (1, 6, and 11 are the options).
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
If the ethernet over power has worked OK for 10 Years i would get a pair of newer ethernet over power adapters with wireless like these.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630p/
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 05:21:32 PM »
Thanks, I should have been more clear. I've moved since then. I just have the one Netgear router now.