Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Computers Benefit Everybody.  (Read 3968 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How Computers Benefit Everybody.
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »
This topic is sort of based on this article:
How Do Computers Benefit Society?
According to Inside Technology 360, computer use has vastly improved the communication networks of the world. Computers make it easier to contact people over long distances with any amount of regularity. Many people and almost all corporations have access to the Internet for this reason. Social media and instant messaging allow people to communicate through online platforms

There is a whole lot more. This week they announced the first radio telescope produced  image of a black hole horizon in another galaxy. The work required a huge amount of compilation al power  not available a few years back.

Please add your own observations to this topic.  :)

Salmon Trout

Re: How Computers Benefit Everybody.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
In other news, how the wheel has helped transportation, and scientists have discovered why it's dark at night.

yulan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
Computers nowadays are much slower than decades ago, I'm talking about user experience. If talking about the benefit, I agree computers are good overall, or in a general view.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
Yulan, what are you smoking?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:40:22 PM »
 ;D    ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yulan

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:13:12 PM »
Yulan, what are you smoking?
Hi there, I do not smoke by the way. Well, let me share a story. Decades ago when I check a directory (nowadays folder), the screen show it up instantly. Now on my 1.66GHz CPU (Atom) along with 1GB RAM, I need to wait seconds for it to show up, take seconds to open a notepad pure text file which is for example around 10 KB, somehow it take even longer to open a htm file with notepad. Another example, when the beginning of household internet, webpages show up quite instantly. In present days, visiting a text discussing forum could cause my 1.66GHz CPU + 1GB RAM computer to hang, or half dead. Some people suggest me to upgrade it to SSD hard drive, while I don't see the point to ungrade it (spent more money) for more ads to come. I'm not making complain to computers themselves, they are innocent. And finally, I cannot help not mentioning this, again, for the pass 2 days and right now at this moment, I can only right click and select to use copy and paste, because the "Ctrl" keys (both) are not working and apparently not hardware problem, details can be read at my topic under "Windows 7" catalogue. Decades ago, computers serve human, now I feel like I'm serving it. Many many times my action is faster then a computer, which is beyond imagination decades ago, such as I Save, then Close, then Open another file, and oops I'm too fast and need to do it again. I wish a better tomorrow, with better solution.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
You are remembering when things worked well with those older systems. You aren't remembering how they often had exactly the same issues. A directory with many folders or files can take several seconds to appear on Windows 95 or 98. Going back further, DIR could easily take it's time, especially on an XT-class machine even with an HDD.

Your 1.66Ghz+1GB RAM system is significantly underpowered. Your 1.66Ghz Atom netbook would likely be outperformed by a Pentium 4 system from a decade ago. Running modern software or browsers/websites on it and saying that computers are slow now doesn't make much sense. Realistically the hardware was never up to snuff for any modern software or websites even when those Atom chips were released- that was never their design purpose.

For a direct example I have an iMac G3. When it was released it was perfectly capable of being used to browse the web. Now, given a more modern browser, it struggles. It didn't actually get slower, but software and websites evolved to take advantage of the availability of computing power on client systems; The Internet and Websites and the capabilities made available to web sites as well as software in general has become far more complex and involved, so systems which used to be top-of-the-line years ago can easily struggled when required to run modern software.

Many many times my action is faster then a computer, which is beyond imagination decades ago
It was quite imaginable decades ago because it was relatively common. Filling up the keyboard buffer because you were typing too fast for the GUI to keep up was not uncommon. Nor was the fact that menus and other dialogs could take a few moments to appear and any keystrokes made expecting the dialog to be present would be ignored.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

yulan

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
Basically agree with that, and yet I still have another story to share. I once used a Windows 95 with configuration I forget, it's long time ago, decades ago, but it should be likely a 80486 CPU, 16MB RAM, it runs slowly but at least could take a look at what a Windows 95 is. Well, my netbook that I brought about 10 year ago, the first impression or feeling is like that Win95... and I started to think (until now) why the 1GB RAM is acting like 1MB... somehow it can handle 3D games smoothly which is my second unsolvable puzzle. Simply browsing through folders, open a text file is like action under water, while running a 3D game makes it jump into the space. I wish it act opposite, I don't need 3D games, I only need a "system" for me to handle basic computer stuff.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
I doubt a 486 supported 16G of RAM...i could be mistaken.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
I doubt a 486 supported 16G of RAM...i could be mistaken.

16MB.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »
OOpps ::)

Percolate

Starter

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 01:41:54 AM »
    Personal computers have changed the lives of individuals in both personal and professional ways. Personal computers have advantages for everyone from preschoolers to senior citizens. How you use your computer depends on your personal interests and needs, but in the end, the technology of the personal computer benefits you by saving you time, money and effort in various ways.
    As I saw in a video on FB2Mate, I think education is the best benefit of computer.
    You can use personal computers for education at school, work and home. At school, you can use personal computers to learn about subjects that a teacher does not have an expertise in or to reinforce a classroom lesson. You may use computers in the classroom to take quizzes and learn about other cultures using software programs.
    At work, you can use personal computers to learn about new processes in the workplace or new skills to improve your performance. You can also use them to learn skills such as management techniques.
    At home, students and adults alike can use a personal computer for learning. You can learn subjects such as spelling, math, and reading using software programs on the computer. You can learn a foreign language, investigate potential investment opportunities in the stock market or learn about other financial opportunities.