Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help to deside on Dedicated Graphics  (Read 2329 times)

Macgomes

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Need help to deside on Dedicated Graphics
    « on: July 12, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
    Hello everyone,,
    I know lots about computers but need input on Dedicated Graphics for gaming... I got $600 absolute max to spend on a laptop and I was gonna buy a current model and have decided that current models are too much and an overkill for the games I wanna play..... I will not be buying any AMD Graphics or AMD CPU since I think they are crappier (some of you may love them and I respect that) and they're not my strong area... I know Intel and Nvidia better... I will not be getting any 10 series GTX cards as they are also out of budget and overkill for GTA SA and GTA 4 (maybe GTA 5 in future)... I was wanting to if I can get away with a 7th gen intel i7 and Geforce 940MX or should I go with a 5th gen i5 and Geforce 840M both with 8 or 16 gb of ram and SSD or if you have any suggestions please leave them! both computers are 14" models.... seems dedicated graphics only mostly come in 14" and 17" laptops and not so much on 15" laptops

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help to deside on Dedicated Graphics
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »
    What about buying a refurb laptop with a warranty and an NVidia GTX card in it that would stretch the performance you can get for that $600? It would be able to handle those games as well as potentially newer titles if something comes out that you have interest in.

Some people say absolutely NO to buying a used computer, but I have saved lots of money by buying second hand higher end computer components and whole used computers from trusted sources and you can get a bargain on better performance hardware by not paying the premium of new. Only drawback to used laptops is that the keyboards on them usually show some wear pattern in them from heavy keystrokes, so I usually go for desktop computers that are used vs a laptop that is usually sold with worn keyboard from prior user(s) heavy typing.

If interested in some gaming laptops that are refurbs for $600 I can look online and try to find you some.

Here is an example of what $600 can get you if you buy a refurb laptop. But this is sold out currently: https://www.newegg.com/shale-black-acer-nitro-5-an515-51-5082-gaming-entertainment/p/1TS-000X-00S56?Item=9SIACA16JV4581

and one with newer 8th gen CPU with a HDD vs SSD: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834316560?Item=9SIACA18P57250

Lastly the $600 budget is pretty tight for a Gaming Laptop budget but it can be done. You can cut cost of a laptop even further if you take the risk of buying through ebay. But I dont buy computers through ebay, I only buy used components there like RAM or a CPU etc to cut corners in cost of a build but by which the health of the part can be determined quickly and if I get burned I am only out like $10 or $20 etc which makes it worth the gamble to save like $40 from elsewhere. I do look at the feedback ratings of sellers and if they have like 500+ positive feedbacks and seem legit i will spend more money at those sellers on ebay with lesser risk of getting burned.

Another place that i buy parts from is Amazon and they also sell refurb computers as well as used computers that aren't cleaned up as much as a refurb would be. I used Amazon for buying a used PlayStation 3 for example for $75 for my daughter when the PS3 she had cooked and died in summer heat while running. Everywhere else the used PS3's were like $130+. i took the gamble of buying a used PS3 through amazon and it paid off I just needed to go through an ownership process with Playstation Network and once I proved I was owner of the system it was then linked to my games and all set to go as I found out that PlayStations that are used are still registered to prior owner and until you get it registered with your account its a paperweight. But 25 minute tech support and all better with it registered as ours vs prior owner of GASMAN of all names  ::) :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help to deside on Dedicated Graphics
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
    That tight of a budget- and since you said you don't want a current model- would certainly put refurbished and used systems on your list of possibilities.

But because of that it is difficult to make any specific recommendation. The former you listed (i7 + 940MX) would likely have better performance If they both fit within the budget. Even if the i7 has 8GB it is probably better to go for that and possibly upgrade to 16GB later in time.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.