Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying registry from one computer to another  (Read 8524 times)

moshe157

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Copying registry from one computer to another
    « on: July 15, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
    Hey, I was wondering what will happen if I'll copy one registry files from a laptop to a desktop computer, also the way I was thinking about it is go into the registry and make export file and then move it to the desktop computer with Disk-On-Key and then just use it as a backup. So, will it work fine for my desktop computer if I will do it?
    (Sorry if it's not easy to understand because of my English)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Copying registry from one computer to another
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
    Registry files work best when exported and imported between same exact hardware, as well as when same software is installed to systems. There is more in the registry than just settings for user preferences and software keys etc, there are also hardware specific keys that if you mismatch to a build can be a headache or crash.

I wouldn't import a registry from a laptop to a desktop computer because of the drastic differences between hardware. You can try it but be prepared to nuke the desktop by pushing a laptops registry to it.

I wouldn't be messing in the registry unless you know what your doing. Even myself having many years playing in the registry rarely go in there to make any changes and when I do its like 1 key that is changed to change the behavior of the computer or fix a problem from a dirty uninstall that left orphan entries which were causing problems with Windows thinking a program was still installed when it was uninstalled etc.

Be sure to backup all your important data to external hard drive or cloud storage, as well as have the media required to perform a clean installation back to systems before you venture into registry alterations as for you might find yourself having to rebuild the installation of Windows if you mess it up badly.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
    Why would you want to do this ? ?
    The system OS's need to be the same however if you wanna proceed...
    Good Luck
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
    PS if you wanna screw aroung with registrys ERunt is the tool you want...

moshe157

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
      I want to do it because I've banned in some game and in other PC's in my house I can play so I was thinking if it will let me play if I will copy one of my other computers registries.
      Already tried VPN, changing my MAC address and HWID, none of these options worked for me and I am desperate because I want to play this game again. (Of course, I won't cheat again, I wouldn't make much effort just to cheat again.)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
      Topic Closed.