Hardware > Hardware

Can I change my CPU

(1/1)

Andre36:
Hi,

Can I upgrade my CPU on my laptop with a PC chip? And how to do that?

Thanks

DaveLembke:
Which Make/Model laptop?

Some CPU's and APU's are directly soldered to the motherboard and others have sockets. Only way to know is to share your info so we can look it up for you.

Laptop upgrades are very risky of having a dead laptop in the end or one that starts to overheat because a faster CPU or APU draws more power and creates more heat. Laptops are generally manufactured to stick with the same exact processor for the life of the computer and engineers design the heatsinks to handle that specific processors heat, so adding a faster hotter processor can cause troubles with a laptop that after upgrade is now overheating because the heatsink isnt able keep up with the extra heat to cool the processor.

Lastly you can run into a BIOS that doesnt support that CPU upgrade even if the motherboard has a socketed CPU or APU and if the manufacturer didnt use that motherboard for a faster line of laptops your then without a BIOS Flash to convert your system to the better models BIOS which supports the better CPU or APU.

Desktop computer CPU and APU upgrades are 10x easier and less likely for troubles. Laptop upgrades for CPU or APU have always fought me, some I had to revert back to the original processor and others complain about Microcode error and require pressing F1 to continue because the BIOS lacks the true support for the better CPU but I run it anyways because its healthy even though it hangs at POST with Microcode error requiring F1 to continue. Then others fail to POST and have to be set back up with their original CPU or APU to get working again.

rosbert:
What he said. If you want to boost the performance of your laptop, upgrading the RAM and storage is a great solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version