Hardware > Hardware

Will this work?

(1/1)

Curlington:
I have a laptop DVD drive connected via SATA slimline to USB. It is not connected to a PC. It's connected to an amp/DAC combo to it's USB in via powered four port USB hub.  It powers up and spins a disc then reads it and stops when you put it in. However as it's a laptop DVD it only has an eject button. No play button. So here's the question since I want to be able to play songs via wav file on it can I burn a data disc ( not a CD rom) of wav files with an autorun command ? Thanks in advance.

strollin:
Autorun is a function of the OS and since you won't have an OS, I don't believe there's a way to do what you're talking about.

Curlington:
That was my worry too. Thanks. I didn't want to use an old IDE drive which is so much bigger , would require a PS. It would have a play button and analog and digital outs. Just too big. This is for a big boom box project mad out of solid cherry . The slimline player will look much nicer. I need room for 2/12V batteries too. Gonna be a beast and sound great.
Anybody else have an idea of how to play discs? Have a Walkman but don't want that. Something that can be mounted flush on the front of the boom box . Amp/DAC has BT, several dig inputs , one analog input. Sometimes you wanna play a disc

Wes

BC_Programmer:
With the USB Drive, devices are controlled by the host device. If what you have them connected to doesn't tell them to do anything, than they won't. For drives like that playing audio would pretty much always be through digital I/O controlled by what it is connected to.

I mention this because really you just need something that is low power that can be fitted into your setup to connect it to to perform that function. The first thing that springs to mind is a Raspberry Pi. It would be possible, I expect, to configure a raspberry Pi to play Audio CDs (or even MP3/etc files on an optical disc) from a connected USB Optical drive, the audio could then output to the DAC/Amp you mentioned.

a Raspberry Pi can run via USB. It will underclock if it doesn't get enough power but playing Audio like this shouldn't be too demanding a task.

If you want to really get into it an Arduino could possibly give an even cleaner solution, but would be more complicated.

Lisa_maree:
What is the label on the ram/dac's USB port i suspect it is a usb port like below and is labeled PC audio. Which is to connect a computer to to work as a USB sound adapter. Not for input from a DVD drive.
Perhaps if you could give us the make and model of Amp/Dac ? We could advise some options

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version